- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Today 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
Irish MP pulls female colleague onto his lap during abortion debate
The phrase “lap dunce” has also been used to describe MP Tom Barry after the embarrassing incident.
There have been many harrowing stories from the current Texas abortion bill battle, and a few baffling ones. With equally restrictive abortion bills in Wisconsin, Ohio ,and North Carolina making the rounds, one might start to wonder: What do abortion legislation hearings look like in Europe?
Well, we may have an answer. Late last week, this video of Irish Member of Parliament Tom Barry pulling his colleague Aine Collins onto his lap during the proceedings surfaced. Barry has since apologized, chalking it up to hitting the Dáil bar before heading into the early morning hearings to pass Ireland’s Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill. The phrase “lap dunce” has also been used to describe Barry.
The Dáil is the Irish equivalent of the U.S. House of Representatives, and yes, they have a bar, which has been heavily criticized since the incident. Perhaps Ireland should consider Sarah Slamen’s refrain from last week’s viral testimony: Everyone on the Internet can see what you’re doing right now.
Screenshot via martysoffice/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.