- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Iran releases 4 U.S. prisoners in anticipation of lifting sanctions
Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian is among them.
Iran released four Iranian-American prisoners on Saturday, including Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian, whose conviction for espionage was criticized around the globe. The move comes as Iran looks to the lifting of international sanctions in the very near future.
Iranian media reports that Amir Hekmati, Saeed Abedini, and Nosratollah Khosrawi have also been released. (The New York Times cites some “discrepancies” over the identity of the latter prisoner.)
“Based on an approval of the Supreme National Security Council and the general interests of the Islamic Republic, four Iranian prisoners with dual-nationality were freed today within the framework of a prisoner swap deal,” the office of Tehran prosecutor said, according to the BBC.
In exchange, the U.S. freed seven Iranian-Americans who were being held in America due to sanctions-related charges, according to Iranian media.
Update 10:38am, Jan. 16: According to the Hill’s Kristina Wong, a fifth U.S. prisoner is also set to be released.
(AP) BREAKING: US official: Iran also releasing 5th detained American, unrelated to prisoner swap.
— Kristina Wong (@kristina_wong) January 16, 2016
Photo via yeowatzup/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Patrick Howell O'Neill is a notable cybersecurity reporter whose work has focused on the dark net, national security, and law enforcement. A former senior writer at the Daily Dot, O'Neill joined CyberScoop in October 2016. I am a cybersecurity journalist at CyberScoop. I cover the security industry, national security and law enforcement.