- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Today 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Today 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Today 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Today 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Today 9:07 AM
- How to stream Money in the Bank 2019 for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 6 for free Today 8:00 AM
- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever Today 7:54 AM
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Trump posts a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
Ilhan Omar’s win is really upsetting the Islamaphobes.
Yesterday, Ilhan Omar won the Democratic primary for Minnesota’s fifth congressional district. If she succeeds in November, she could become the first-ever Muslim woman elected to Congress (another Muslim woman in Michigan, Rashida Tlaib, is also running for the House).
That is cool. America has been in the grips of Islamaphobia since (basically) the first Gulf War, and that people are moving past that to try and bring about diverse voices to a democracy (which is what you want a democracy to be) is objectively great.
Unless you are a far-right conservative who believes that one person out of 438 people will bring about the end of the United States, instituting :screaming-cat-emoji: the United States of Islam.
It’s not gonna happen, but look at these folks freaking out over a little bit of diversity.
(But before we begin, a friendly reminder that Omar was … voted for. By voters. American voters. Who did democracy.)
This is the hatred our government has imported.
This women won her primary in Minnesota, United States of America. pic.twitter.com/lQOdRRD0uF
— Steph (@steph93065) August 15, 2018
Objectively analyzing the actions of nation-states through a lens other than Judeo-Christian values? We should all rather just be dead.
I once embraced all religions as different facets of the same diamond. In the sunset of my life I've realized that some beliefs have taken God as an excuse to obtain power thru submission and fear in God's name. That is true evil. Islam is one of them. I hope she loses.
— librerind (@librepind) August 15, 2018
And yet hoping she loses is better than some responses, like those who called for President Donald Trump to intervene in Minnesota’s congressional elections.
A Jewish woman I know spent the night crying over the election results in Minnesota because she’s genuinely concerned for her safety. In her district, jihadis who have publicly stated their hatred for Jews & Israel are set to go to Congress.@realDonaldTrump please do something.
— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) August 15, 2018
Save the republic from Sharia law by instituting … a dictatorship.
I spent the day crying too. A very sad day in America.
— Lynn Chastain (@LynnChastain2) August 15, 2018
It is truly sad when the results of a free and fair election don’t go your way. But it’s a sad day for you. Not a sad day for America. For in America, the millions of Muslims who live here get to see a representative of their religion have a voice in a Congress that routinely votes to bomb the countries they used to call home.
But back to the upset people. They are very upset, they want you to know.
She proves you can be antisemitic yet go to DC and represent a district in this country. There is a deep disconnect when an unapologetic hater is applauded by the lost left. Be better Minnesota. Wow
"Ilhan Omar" https://t.co/79Y0pZbjSu
— Joe Pags Pagliarulo (@JoeTalkShow) August 15, 2018
Sharia has no place in America! Our freedoms and liberty in America are in direct contrast to any other law from a foreign country. Assimilate in America or leave: America loves Israel and the Jewish people-America stands with Israel! 💛🇺🇸🙏✝️
— i luv freedom (@cherishRfreedom) August 15, 2018
THERE IS NO PLACE FOR A MUSLIM IN THE ELECTED OFFICIALS OF THE USA! IT IS IDEOLOGICALLY UNSOUND AND ANTI AMERICAN.
— P.I. Protection Spec (@Templar0821) August 15, 2018
Mohamud Noor wins Democratic primary race for Pro-Sharia Ilhan Omar’s seat in Minnesota legislature.
He’ll become the first Somali man to be elected to a state house.
Goal of the Muslim Brotherhood is to infiltrate our Gov't, implement Sharia & destroy us from within! pic.twitter.com/PysHsFVmBL
— Amy Mek❌ (@AmyMek) August 15, 2018
Calm down. America will be fine, in fact better, because of this.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]