- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Montel Williams and Trump’s deputy press secretary are feuding over the border wall
Hogan Gidley didn’t take too kindly to being branded a college fratboy or Montel William’s criticism of the president’s border wall plans.
White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley and television personality Montel Williams engaged in a brief spat on Twitter Wednesday over President Donald Trump’s plan for a border wall.
Williams, who tags himself in his profile as a member of the widely mocked anti-Trump #Resistance, took shots first in response to one of Gidley’s tweets about a White House cabinet meeting.
I realize ur not long out of the frathouse, but Donald’s immigration policy is as much of a winner as Trump steaks wasn’t. https://t.co/0gFKm5OHoQ
— Montel Williams (@Montel_Williams) January 2, 2019
Gidley didn’t take too kindly to being branded a college fratboy, seizing the opportunity to not only inform Williams that he was 42 years old but to also publicly lash out at Democrats critical of the wall.
Then clearly you don't "realize" much. 1) @POTUS immigration policy, including a wall, is NOT based on what a former talk show host wants, but what the brave men and women at @DHSgov, @ICEgov, and @CBP tell us they need to protect America. 2) No frathouse for a while…I'm 42. https://t.co/8n0iuLyCdE
— Hogan Gidley (@hogangidley45) January 2, 2019
Bemused by the partisan exchange, Twitter users on the left and right fell in line behind each man.
Some cheered Gidley on for his put down.
— Jan W (@gran4702) January 2, 2019
Who is this Montel guy
— John mc (@jdmtens) January 2, 2019
Some slammed the deputy press secretary for going after Williams, who is a veteran.
That talk show host served his country in the military. Your boss on the other hand got his Daddy to call in a favor to a podiatrist for a fake bone spur diagnosis so he could dodge the Vietnam War.
Drag him Montel….. pic.twitter.com/jTJP8aZHk9
— Janet Shan (@hinterlandg) January 2, 2019
Meanwhile, others were quick to point out to Gidley that Williams’ status as “a former talk show host” no more disqualifies his opinion on immigration policy than the president’s career as a reality show host.
Yeah, it's not based on what a former talk show host wants. It's based on what a former reality show host wants. BIG difference.
— FuzzBeedEli (@FuzzBeedEli) January 2, 2019
Williams’ mentions, meanwhile, are currently flooded by Trump trolls and other users dragging him for his prior endorsement of Money Mutual—a lead generator for exploitative payday lenders.
— Ryan Graney (@RyanEGraney) January 2, 2019
Go scam some poor folks with your payday loans
— C (@satchmouth) January 2, 2019
Montel…you hawked pay day loans at 1,300% interest rate to the poorest Americans…but please tell us more about what a scam Trump steaks are lolololol.
— Nate (@natejundt) January 2, 2019
It’s a weird, petty feud.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.