- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Today 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Today 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Today 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Today 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
Hillary Clinton body-double conspiracy theory spreads like the plague after health scare
Clinton’s health concerns are real. Conspiracy theories about a body double are not.
Supporters of Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, believe his Democratic opponent is using a body double to hide the severity of her medical condition, and they say they have the photographic evidence to back it up.
On Sunday, Clinton left a 9/11 memorial event in lower Manhattan early after she felt ill. A video emerged showing the former secretary of state stumbling and needing help entering a van, providing evidence to Trump supporters that Clinton is physically unfit to serve as president.
Clinton’s doctor later released a statement saying she was dehydrated and suffering from pneumonia.
“Secretary Clinton has been experiencing a cough related to allergies. On Friday, during follow up evaluation of her prolonged cough, she was diagnosed with pneumonia,” Dr. Lisa R. Bardack, Clinton’s doctor, said in a statement. “She was put on antibiotics, and advised to rest and modify her schedule. While at this morning’s event, she became overheated and dehydrated. I have just examined her and she is now re-hydrated and recovering nicely.”
Before being treated at her home in Chappaqua, New York, Clinton was taken to her daughter Chelsea’s nearby apartment. Upon exiting the apartment building, she said to onlookers, “I’m feeling great. It’s a beautiful day in New York.”
Photos taken of Clinton walking out of the building have fueled speculation that the person smiling and waving was not actually Clinton but a body double. Speculators are picking apart the photos to identify inconsistencies, such as nose shape, weight, and finger length.
Conspiracy theorists are pointing to actress Teresa Barnwell, a Clinton impersonator who has been lauded as the “greatest Clinton lookalike” for her resemblance to the politician.
Barnwell joined in, first attempting to tamp down the conspiracy theory by tweeting that she was in Los Angeles on Sunday, not in New York City.
I’m in Los Angeles today. Not in NYC!
— Teresa Barnwell (@teresa_barnwell) September 11, 2016
Then she ramped things back up by posting a photo that shows the outside of Chelsea Clinton’s apartment building where her mother was photographed.
But she was just having a little fun, it seems, as she later directly addressed the uproar.
OK people, calm down. I was in LA today, all day. Was just messin’ with your crazy conspiracy minded little heads. Go to bed.
— Teresa Barnwell (@teresa_barnwell) September 12, 2016
Despite this, #HillarysBodyDouble is trending on Twitter as the conspiracy theory continues to spread. This in turn has Clinton supporters (or people who just think the whole thing is a ridiculous farce) poking fun at those who think Clinton really did use a body double, which video and photo evidence concretely disproves.
Back in the real world, Clinton’s health has legitimately shaken up the 2016 presidential race just two months before the November election. The Democratic National Committee is reportedly meeting to plan for the worst-case scenario of Clinton being forced to drop out of the race due to her health. And the press is questioning the Clinton campaign’s decision to hide her illness, particularly after she hugged a young girl while having a contagious illness that reportedly left several of her staff members ill.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.