- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative 2 Years Ago
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Today 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Today 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Today 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Today 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
Hannity, the far-right Fox News pundit and ardent supporter of President Donald Trump, tweeted a link to a blog on his website where he decries a “secret sperm” hidden in the official portrait of Obama released on Monday.
The portraits, commissioned by the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, have been called less traditional than portraits done of other first families. Obama’s portrait, the center of Hannity’s so-called scandal, depicts him sitting on a chair behind lush greenery.
But according to Hannity, there is a “sexual innuendo” hidden within the portrait.
In a now-deleted tweet, Hannity called Obama’s portrait “a stark contrast to predecessors with inappropriate sexual innuendo.”
On his website, the Fox News host went even further, saying the “widening scandal surrounding” the portrait “continued to swirl” because of allegations that the artist, Kehinde Wiley, included “secret sperm cells” in the painting.
Hannity used a quote from a New York Times article about Wiley to further his “scandal” idea.
“His portraits initially depicted African-American men against rich textile or wallpaper backgrounds whose patterns he has likened to abstractions of sperm. Some of the subjects were famous (rap and sports stars), others not,” the Times wrote in 2008.
The blog post on Hannity’s website was also deleted.
Apparently, a marking on Obama’s face was the sperm the Fox News host was fussing about.
The “secret sperm” is definitely the biggest scandal in America today. Get ready for #SpermGate.
Update 4:51pm CT, Feb. 13: In a statement Tuesday, Hannity told the Daily Beast that his web staff posted the content and it was not reviewed by him.
“It does not reflect my voice and message and, therefore, I had it taken down,” Hannity said.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).