- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
- YouTube’s 2019 Rewind video is much different than last year’s debacle Thursday 1:19 PM
- Artists get revenge on art-stealing T-shirt bots Thursday 12:44 PM
Hannity, the far-right Fox News pundit and ardent supporter of President Donald Trump, tweeted a link to a blog on his website where he decries a “secret sperm” hidden in the official portrait of Obama released on Monday.
The portraits, commissioned by the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, have been called less traditional than portraits done of other first families. Obama’s portrait, the center of Hannity’s so-called scandal, depicts him sitting on a chair behind lush greenery.
But according to Hannity, there is a “sexual innuendo” hidden within the portrait.
In a now-deleted tweet, Hannity called Obama’s portrait “a stark contrast to predecessors with inappropriate sexual innuendo.”
On his website, the Fox News host went even further, saying the “widening scandal surrounding” the portrait “continued to swirl” because of allegations that the artist, Kehinde Wiley, included “secret sperm cells” in the painting.
Hannity used a quote from a New York Times article about Wiley to further his “scandal” idea.
“His portraits initially depicted African-American men against rich textile or wallpaper backgrounds whose patterns he has likened to abstractions of sperm. Some of the subjects were famous (rap and sports stars), others not,” the Times wrote in 2008.
The blog post on Hannity’s website was also deleted.
Apparently, a marking on Obama’s face was the sperm the Fox News host was fussing about.
The “secret sperm” is definitely the biggest scandal in America today. Get ready for #SpermGate.
Update 4:51pm CT, Feb. 13: In a statement Tuesday, Hannity told the Daily Beast that his web staff posted the content and it was not reviewed by him.
“It does not reflect my voice and message and, therefore, I had it taken down,” Hannity said.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).