- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays 6 Years Ago
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights 6 Years Ago
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ 6 Years Ago
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 6 Years Ago
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Today 10:44 AM
- Despite changes, the YouTube 2019 Rewind video is still massively disliked Today 10:11 AM
- ‘Home for Christmas’ brings a needed sharp edge to Christmas rom-com season Today 10:07 AM
- Joe Biden seemingly called a voter ‘fat’—but his campaign denies it Today 9:30 AM
- The decade in internet scamming Today 9:00 AM
- Bernie Sanders unveils ‘high-speed internet for all’ plan Today 8:59 AM
- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
Former GOP staffer charged with child porn found dead in apparent suicide
He stood accused of sharing truly stomach-turning content.
Ryan Loskarn, a former Senate staffer fired in December over child pornography charges, is dead in an apparent suicide.
Loskarn, 35, had been chief of staff for senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) for two years. In October and November, a federal investigation found that an IP address that matched his home was uploading a file titled “6Yo Girl Kidnaped And Raped In Woods([Pedo]” on the peer-to-peer filesharing service Gnutella. The criminal complaint against Loskarn describes the contents of the video file as being as horrible as they sound.
When police came to Loskam’s house in December with a warrant, they reported seeing him sneaking out his second-floor window with a hard drive, which, they said, contained more child porn. Since his arrest, while awaiting trial, he’d worn an ankle bracelet and was confined to his parents’ house in Sykesville, Md.
Maryland police said in a statement that’s where they found him around noon Thursday, lying unresponsive in the basement. They didn’t elaborate on the circumstances of his death, but noted they suspected suicide, and were following up with an investigation.
Alexander, who’s up for reelection this year, called the situation “a sad and tragic story from beginning to end.”
Photo by filter forge/Flickr (remix by Fernando Alfonso III)
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.