- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action 6 Years Ago
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov 6 Years Ago
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ 6 Years Ago
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown 6 Years Ago
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
Former GOP staffer charged with child porn found dead in apparent suicide
He stood accused of sharing truly stomach-turning content.
Ryan Loskarn, a former Senate staffer fired in December over child pornography charges, is dead in an apparent suicide.
Loskarn, 35, had been chief of staff for senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) for two years. In October and November, a federal investigation found that an IP address that matched his home was uploading a file titled “6Yo Girl Kidnaped And Raped In Woods([Pedo]” on the peer-to-peer filesharing service Gnutella. The criminal complaint against Loskarn describes the contents of the video file as being as horrible as they sound.
When police came to Loskam’s house in December with a warrant, they reported seeing him sneaking out his second-floor window with a hard drive, which, they said, contained more child porn. Since his arrest, while awaiting trial, he’d worn an ankle bracelet and was confined to his parents’ house in Sykesville, Md.
Maryland police said in a statement that’s where they found him around noon Thursday, lying unresponsive in the basement. They didn’t elaborate on the circumstances of his death, but noted they suspected suicide, and were following up with an investigation.
Alexander, who’s up for reelection this year, called the situation “a sad and tragic story from beginning to end.”
Photo by filter forge/Flickr (remix by Fernando Alfonso III)
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.