- Beto O’Rourke was ‘born’ to run for president, but what about actually governing? Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Stanley Cup for free Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My needy coworker won’t stop texting me Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hot Zone’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Witness the wholesome magic of inter-generational conversations on r/AskOldPeople Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Paramount Network online for free Today 5:30 AM
- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
The dispute with the shooter is believed to be ‘ongoing.’
George Zimmerman was involved in a shooting incident in Lake Mary, Fla., a suburb just north of Orlando, according to local reports.
Authorities say Zimmerman, the 31-year-old famously acquitted in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, suffered minor injuries to his face related to gunshots fired during a road rage incident.
A photograph tweeted by WESH appeared to show a bullet hole in the back a black pickup that Zimmerman was reportedly in. An eyewitness told reporters that Zimmerman “walked normally into the ambulance, so he wasn’t being helped or nothing.”
Lake Mary Police Chief Steve Bracknell told WESH the shooting may be the product of an “ongoing dispute” between Zimmerman and another individual.
Zimmerman has had several run-ins with the law since he was acquitted of second-degree murder in July 2013. He faced allegations of domestic abuse that November, after his girlfriend called the police and said he was refusing to leave her home and had pointed a shotgun at her.
In September, Zimmerman was involved in another road rage incident, during which he reportedly threatened someone’s life. The other driver declined to press charges.
Update 3:07pm CT, May 11: Contrary to early reports, Zimmerman’s wounds were not caused by a direct shot to the face. Don West, Zimmerman’s attorney, told local news station WFTV that the bullet missed Zimmerman’s head. “I think it broke a window and lodged in his vehicle,” said West.
The headline and article have been updated to reflect the new information.
H/T WESH | Illustration by Max Fleishman
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.