- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Today 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Today 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Today 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Today 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Today 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Today 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
New meme mocks Fox News’ coverage of Manafort, Cohen guilty news
Peter Bond/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
The memes came quick.
On Tuesday, President Donald Trump‘s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort and former personal lawyer Michael Cohen were both at the conclusion of their respective lengthy legal battles—and major cable news networks were breathlessly covering the cases as news came in.
Cohen pled guilty to several felony charges—including campaign finance violations—and said Trump ordered him to pay off adult film actress Stormy Daniels ahead of the 2016 election.
Manafort was found guilty on eight counts of felony tax fraud, failing to declare a foreign bank account, and bank fraud. A judge declared a mistrial for 10 other counts levied against him.
While outlets like CNN, MSNBC, ABC and others covered the trials, people on the internet poked fun at Fox News‘s coverage of the events (or lack thereof).
While some jokes were critiques of Fox’s coverage, a meme popped up that’s essentially a running list of outlets covering the Manafort and Cohen news, ending with Fox News “covering” a completely unrelated (or bizarre) subject.
Fox has, in the past, talked about anything but the legal trouble of Trump associates.
CNN: Cohen & Manafort convictions.
ABC: Cohen to plead guilty.
MSNBC: Cohen plea deal.
FOX News: Are candelabras female candles?
— Sarah Sweeney (@heysarahsweeney) August 21, 2018
CNN: Michael Cohen reaches plea deal.
MSNBC: Michael Cohen reaches plea deal.
Fox News: Hillary Clinton wants open borders!
— Denizcan Grimes (@MrFilmkritik) August 21, 2018
CBS: Manafort/Cohen story
NBC: Manafort/Cohen story
ABC: Manafort/Cohen story
CNN: Manafort/Cohen story
Headline News: Manafort/Cohen story
BBC: Manafort/Cohen story
MSNBC: Manafort/Cohen story
Local News: Manafort/Cohen story
Fox News: Immigrant implicated in murder
— Rebel Scum #42 (@lipstickham) August 22, 2018
CNN – Cohen plea deal
MSNBC – Cohen plea deal
Fox News – Are cats becoming too tall?
— Fred Delicious (@Fred_Delicious) August 21, 2018
cnn: cohen pleads guilty, implicates trump
msnbc: cohen pleads guilty, implicates trump
fox news: "celebs at mtv vma awards slam trump" pic.twitter.com/x935l7yXPn
— John Whitehouse (@existentialfish) August 22, 2018
Fox News: Look y’all there’s a car chase in Phoenix @seanhannity tonight: HILLARY SUCKS
— Will’s Cretin-Pardon Countdown Clock (@bywillpollock) August 21, 2018
CNN: Manafort Convicted, Cohen Pleads Guilty
MSNBC: Manafort Convicted, Cohen Pleads Guilty
FOOD NETWORK: Manafort Convicted, Cohen Pleads Guilty
ANIMAL PLANET: Manafort Convicted, Cohen Pleads Guilty
FOX NEWS: Tasty Coleslaw Recipes For Labor Day
— Quinn Sutherland (@ReelQuinn) August 21, 2018
CNN: Manafort and Cohen
MSNBC: Manafort and Cohen
Fox and Friends: Tooth fairy
Tell me, which one is fake news again? 🤔
— Erik (@erik316wttn) August 22, 2018
CNN: Manafort guilty on 8 counts
NYT: Manafort guilty of fraud
AP: Cohen pleads guilty
Fox News: Were the lobsters on the Titanic happy that it sank?
— #1 Rachel (@rachel) August 21, 2018
To be fair, Fox News’s website had several stories dedicated to the Manafort and Cohen news on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, with both trials taking up most of the real estate at the top of their politics section. And no stories about panda sex.
- What is KAG, Trump’s 2020 campaign slogan?
- Twitter roasts Trump golf club over pitiful plate of ‘vegetables’
- This former Congressman said it’s #MeToo’s fault that he resigned
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).