- Laura Ingraham mocks Rep. Ilhan Omar’s accent in audio clip Sunday 5:46 PM
- #ExposeChristianSchools goes viral after Karen Pence and Covington Catholic School uproars Sunday 4:37 PM
- People have started laundering money on Fortnite Sunday 3:03 PM
- Cardi B claps back at Tomi Lahren’s sarcastic tweet Sunday 1:25 PM
- Twitter may have exposed Android users’ private tweets Sunday 12:13 PM
- Leave Me Alurn is the ‘SNL’ product we wish existed in real life Sunday 10:06 AM
- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free Sunday 9:00 AM
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free Sunday 8:15 AM
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Sunday 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Sunday 6:15 AM
- How to watch ‘Supergirl’ online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the NFL conference championship games Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Sunday 1:00 AM
Remember Flynn’s ‘lock her up’ speech? So does the rest of the internet
The irony isn’t lost on people.
With the news that former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is expected to plead guilty to making false statements to the FBI, the internet is having a field day with his “lock her up” speech at the Republican National Convention last year.
Flynn made the speech during the “Make America Safe Again” portion of President Donald Trump‘s convention. The “lock her up” chants were a mainstay at Trump’s campaign rallies as a jab at then-Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in regards to her use of a private email server as secretary of state.
During the speech, Flynn said, “If I did a tenth, a tenth, of what she did, I would be in jail today.”
Flashback: Michael Flynn leads a chant of "lock her up" at the RNC pic.twitter.com/fuRur4t6Xe
— Stef W. Kight (@StefWKight) December 1, 2017
Here’s the full quote, which Flynn delivered while the crowd chanted “lock her up”:
We do not need a reckless president who believes she is above the law. Lock her up, that’s right. Yea, that’s right, Lock her up. I’m gonna tell you what. It’s unbelievable. It’s unbelievable. Yea. I use hashtag Never Hillary, that’s what I use. I have called on Hillary Clinton, I have called on Hillary Clinton to drop out of the race, because she, she put our nation’s security at extremely high risk with her careless use of a private email server. Lock her up, lock her up. You guys are good, damn right, exactly right, there’s nothing wrong with that. And you know why, and you know why, you know why we’re saying that? We’re saying that because if I, a guy who knows this business, if I did a tenth, a tenth, of what she did, I would be in jail today.
Flynn reportedly regretted the “lock her up” chants during his speech, according to Vice.
“He almost immediately wished that he had handled it differently,” said a source close to Flynn told the news outlet. “He regrets it to this day. It was not at all in character for him.”
Flynn was charged on Friday with one count of “willfully and knowingly” making “materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statements and representations” to FBI agents as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s investigation into Russian interference int he 2016 election.
According to court documents, Flynn falsely stated that he did not ask Russia’s former ambassador to the United States to refrain from “escalating the situation” in response to sanctions the United States imposed against the country on Dec. 19, 2016. Trump’s former national security adviser also falsely stated that he did not ask the ambassador to “delay a vote on or defeat” a United Nations Security Council resolution around Dec. 22, 2016.
The irony of Flynn leading a “lock her up” chant amid news that he is expected to plead guilty to charges of lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation was not lost on people on Twitter.
"Lock Her Up!" – Mike Flynn
Today he is pleading guilty for false statements to the FBI.
America today: pic.twitter.com/qZ5CIsyTud
— Bros4America (@Bros4America) December 1, 2017
499: Number of days between when Michael Flynn led a “Lock her up!” chant at the 2016 Republican Convention and pleading guilty of lying to the FBI
— Gabriel Snyder (@gabrielsnyder) December 1, 2017
I guess Flynn won't be chanting "Lock her up" while pleading guilty today.
— John Weaver (@JWGOP) December 1, 2017
2016 – "Lock her up!"
2017 – "Don't lock me up!"
2018 – "Here's how to lock Trump up…"
— Denizcan James (@MrFilmkritik) December 1, 2017
Thirteen months ago, Flynn was burning up the campaign trail with chants of "LOCK HER UP!"
Today, he was locked up. #TrumpRussia
— Pé Resists (@4everNeverTrump) December 1, 2017
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).