- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl 2 Years Ago
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
Remember Flynn’s ‘lock her up’ speech? So does the rest of the internet
The irony isn’t lost on people.
With the news that former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is expected to plead guilty to making false statements to the FBI, the internet is having a field day with his “lock her up” speech at the Republican National Convention last year.
Flynn made the speech during the “Make America Safe Again” portion of President Donald Trump‘s convention. The “lock her up” chants were a mainstay at Trump’s campaign rallies as a jab at then-Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in regards to her use of a private email server as secretary of state.
During the speech, Flynn said, “If I did a tenth, a tenth, of what she did, I would be in jail today.”
Flashback: Michael Flynn leads a chant of "lock her up" at the RNC pic.twitter.com/fuRur4t6Xe— Stef W. Kight (@StefWKight) December 1, 2017
Here’s the full quote, which Flynn delivered while the crowd chanted “lock her up”:
We do not need a reckless president who believes she is above the law. Lock her up, that’s right. Yea, that’s right, Lock her up. I’m gonna tell you what. It’s unbelievable. It’s unbelievable. Yea. I use hashtag Never Hillary, that’s what I use. I have called on Hillary Clinton, I have called on Hillary Clinton to drop out of the race, because she, she put our nation’s security at extremely high risk with her careless use of a private email server. Lock her up, lock her up. You guys are good, damn right, exactly right, there’s nothing wrong with that. And you know why, and you know why, you know why we’re saying that? We’re saying that because if I, a guy who knows this business, if I did a tenth, a tenth, of what she did, I would be in jail today.
Flynn reportedly regretted the “lock her up” chants during his speech, according to Vice.
“He almost immediately wished that he had handled it differently,” said a source close to Flynn told the news outlet. “He regrets it to this day. It was not at all in character for him.”
Flynn was charged on Friday with one count of “willfully and knowingly” making “materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statements and representations” to FBI agents as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s investigation into Russian interference int he 2016 election.
According to court documents, Flynn falsely stated that he did not ask Russia’s former ambassador to the United States to refrain from “escalating the situation” in response to sanctions the United States imposed against the country on Dec. 19, 2016. Trump’s former national security adviser also falsely stated that he did not ask the ambassador to “delay a vote on or defeat” a United Nations Security Council resolution around Dec. 22, 2016.
The irony of Flynn leading a “lock her up” chant amid news that he is expected to plead guilty to charges of lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation was not lost on people on Twitter.
"Lock Her Up!" - Mike Flynn— Bros4America (@Bros4America) December 1, 2017
Today he is pleading guilty for false statements to the FBI.
America today: pic.twitter.com/qZ5CIsyTud
499: Number of days between when Michael Flynn led a “Lock her up!” chant at the 2016 Republican Convention and pleading guilty of lying to the FBI— Gabriel Snyder (@gabrielsnyder) December 1, 2017
I guess Flynn won't be chanting "Lock her up" while pleading guilty today.— John Weaver (@JWGOP) December 1, 2017
Mike Flynn:— Denizcan James (@MrFilmkritik) December 1, 2017
2016 - "Lock her up!"
2017 - "Don't lock me up!"
2018 - "Here's how to lock Trump up..."
Thirteen months ago, Flynn was burning up the campaign trail with chants of "LOCK HER UP!"— Pé Resists (@4everNeverTrump) December 1, 2017
Today, he was locked up. #TrumpRussia
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).