- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman 7 Months Ago
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch 7 Months Ago
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Today 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
Illustration by Jason Reed (Licensed)
The heavily redacted file bundle was obtained by journalist Ken Klippenstein of The Young Turks under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and reveal the agency’s new role in combating “violations of the espionage laws of the United States.”
“The complicated nature of—and rapid growth in—unauthorized disclosure and media leak threats and investigations has necessitated the establishment of a new Unit,” reads a mission document dated Nov. 10, 2017.
Another document dated May 24, 2018, details the approval of a Counterintelligence Division request for the FBI’s Resource Analysis Unit to set up a new cost code, reportedly for the new unit.
The files appear to have been formerly marked as secret before being declassified as part of the FOIA request.
Interestingly, Klippenstein points out that the date conflicts with former Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ claim in August 2017 that such a unit was already in place. Sessions had undertaken a review of the Justice Department’s leak investigations that year.
Read the internal documents relating to the FBI Media Leak Unit here.
- Dark Overlord hackers claim possession of classified 9/11 documents
- Montel Williams and Trump’s deputy press secretary are feuding over the border wall
- Nikki Haley launches new Twitter after rules forced her to archive old one
H/T The Young Turks
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.