- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Monday 10:29 AM
Illustration by Jason Reed (Licensed)
The heavily redacted file bundle was obtained by journalist Ken Klippenstein of The Young Turks under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and reveal the agency’s new role in combating “violations of the espionage laws of the United States.”
“The complicated nature of—and rapid growth in—unauthorized disclosure and media leak threats and investigations has necessitated the establishment of a new Unit,” reads a mission document dated Nov. 10, 2017.
Another document dated May 24, 2018, details the approval of a Counterintelligence Division request for the FBI’s Resource Analysis Unit to set up a new cost code, reportedly for the new unit.
The files appear to have been formerly marked as secret before being declassified as part of the FOIA request.
Interestingly, Klippenstein points out that the date conflicts with former Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ claim in August 2017 that such a unit was already in place. Sessions had undertaken a review of the Justice Department’s leak investigations that year.
Read the internal documents relating to the FBI Media Leak Unit here.
- Dark Overlord hackers claim possession of classified 9/11 documents
- Montel Williams and Trump’s deputy press secretary are feuding over the border wall
- Nikki Haley launches new Twitter after rules forced her to archive old one
H/T The Young Turks
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.