- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has reportedly been unable to get into one of the smartphones owned by the accused mass shooter who opened fire on a strip of bars and restaurants in Dayton, Ohio, on August 4, killing nine people and injuring 27 others.
According to the Hill, FBI Deputy Director David Bowdich told Congressional lawmakers that the phone of the suspected shooter, 24-year-old Connor Betts, is protected by a passcode.
“We don’t know when we are going to get into the phone,” Bowdich reportedly told the lawmakers.
Bowdich went on to state that if the shooter used a six- to eight-digit passcode, it could take the agency months or even years to gain access to the device.
The shooter was killed by police at the scene shortly after his attack.
While it remains unclear what model of phone the FBI is referring to, reports indicate that the shooter owned “multiple phones.”
The FBI was, however, able to access a Samsung device said to belong to the shooter.
The news comes just one month after Attorney General William Barr called for encryption backdoors to allow law enforcement to access people’s private data.
The phone issue is reminiscent of that following the 2015 attack in San Bernardino, California, where the FBI attempted to compel Apple to create a backdoor in order to access one of the shooters’ phones. Although the FBI repeatedly claimed that there was no other way to access the phone, the agency eventually paid a third party to successfully break into the device.
- Trump offers condolences to Toledo in wake of Dayton shooting
- FBI plans to look at your social media even more than it already does
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.