- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
The problem surfaced less than a week after Facebook tweaked its Trending Topics functionality.
Don’t believe everything you find on Facebook’s Trending Topics—especially right now.
Facebook removed a short article promoted through the social network’s coveted Trending Topics list on Monday that claimed that Fox News host Megyn Kelly is “on the way out” at the conservative cable news giant because she “seems to be a closet liberal who actually wants Hillary to win.”
Problem is, that’s not true.
The article that got the Facebook Trending Topics bump, posted by a publication called End the Fed News, was actually a reblog of a reblog published by a website called Conservative 101 and written by someone named Justin.
“BREAKING: Fox News Exposes Traitor Megyn Kelly, Kicks Her Out For Backing Hillary,” the article’s headline reads. There is no factual information in the article to back up this claim.
Megyn Kelly has not been kicked out of Fox News. However, a recent Vanity Fair profile suggests that either Kelly or fellow host Bill O’Reilly may leave the network after their contracts end next year.
The promotion of the bogus Megyn Kelly story follows changes to the Trending Topics feature, announced on Aug. 26, which removed the description of the topics that were previously written by humans. Instead, Trending Topics items will now show the number of people “talking about” a particular topic.
When you hover over a Trending Topic, you’ll still see a featured article on the topic, chosen by Facebook’s algorithm, with a description pulled directly from the article. The complications arise when the publications writing on that topic are spreading rumors rather than fact.
Facebook refused to comment on the record about how the revamped Trending Topics functionality may have affected the inclusion of the bogus Megyn Kelly topic.
The problem with Facebook’s human-created descriptions surfaced earlier this month with the passing of author Victor Thorn, a noted conspiracy theorist and Holocaust denier whom the social network described as a “Clinton researcher” due to his series of books about Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.