- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Today 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Today 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Today 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Today 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Today 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Today 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Today 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Today 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Today 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Today 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Today 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Today 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Today 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Today 10:38 AM
- Twitter pledges to verify politicians in national primaries Today 9:34 AM
This article contains video that depicts disturbing acts of violence.
Videos of the disturbing incident posted online show the perpetrators physically abusing the victim, including cutting his hair with a knife, causing his scalp to bleed, and forcing him to drink toilet water.
The perpetrators verbally berate the victim. One of the perpetrators says “Fuck Trump!” and “Fuck white people!” while abusing the victim. Some of the perpetrators make racial epithets. The perpetrators seen in the video are black while the victim is white.
No individuals had been charged as of Wednesday night, a Chicago Police Department spokesman told the Daily Dot. However, police filed hate-crime and kidnapping charges against four individuals on Thursday.
Police told the local CBS News affiliate that the victim lives in a Chicago suburb. Chicago’s Fox affiliate reported that the victim was transported from his hometown to Chicago, where he was allegedly tortured in an apartment on the city’s West Side. The victim allegedly knew at least one of the perpetrators.
“It’s sickening,” Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said during a press conference on Wednesday. “It makes you wonder what would make individuals treat somebody like that. I’ve been a cop for 28 years, and I’ve seen things that you shouldn’t see in a lifetime, but it still amazes me how you still see things that you just shouldn’t. I’m not going to say it shocked me, but it was sickening.”
Chicago PD refused to confirm to the Daily Dot the genders of the individuals questioned by police, but investigators have reportedly interviewed two adult males and two adult females in connection to the alleged attack.
The victim was treated at a hospital and is with his parents, CBS Chicago reports. Authorities are, according to Fox 32, expected to bring charges against individuals involved in the incident.
Update 4:35pm CT, Jan. 5: Chicago police have filed charges against four individuals over the incident: Tanishia Covington, 24, Tesfaye Cooper, 18, Brittany Covington, 18, and Jordan Hill, 18.
Editor’s note: This article has been updated for clarity.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.