- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
She was taken into custody by Secret Service
Eric Trump was reportedly spit on by a waitress at a cocktail bar in Chicago, Illinois, on Tuesday, according to NBC Chicago.
The incident reportedly took place at the Aviary, around 8:30pm in the evening, when an employee came up to him and spat on him. It’s unclear if she was his server for the evening.
She was taken into custody by U.S. Secret Service, and eventually released, the Daily Beast reported.
Chicago Police Department shared a tweet by journalist Mary Ann Ahern, confirming the incident on Twitter and said they’re working with the Secret Service on the issue:
“It was purely a disgusting act by somebody who clearly has emotional problems,” Trump told Breitbart News on Tuesday. “For a party that preaches tolerance, this once again demonstrates they have very little civility. When somebody is sick enough to resort to spitting on someone, it just emphasizes a sickness and desperation and the fact that we’re winning.”
As expected, his sentiment was shared by many Trump supporters, who immediately jumped to blame the left.
Has anyone on the left or in the media condemned the attack on Eric Trump?— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) June 26, 2019
Eric Trump was reportedly spit on at a Chicago bar.— #ThePersistence (@ScottPresler) June 26, 2019
Democrats on Twitter are cheering this attack.
With Steve Scalise's near assassination by a Bernie Sanders supporter, we must takes these left wing acts of violence seriously.
And the hypocrisy was noted on Twitter:
Republicans: *tourturing/imprisoning asylum seekers, about to start a war with Iran thatll kill thousands, blocking investigations of white nationalist groups*— Darion G (@RaptorJesuss) June 26, 2019
Person: *spits on Eric Trump*
Republicans: “WOW THE VIOLENT LEFT IS AT IT AGAIN! So much for the tolerant left!!!”
Most others on Twitter aren’t necessarily sympathizing with Trump, with some making references to his father’s recent remarks such as “she’s not my type” about E. Jean Carroll, after she accused him of rape.
When exotic animal-murderer Eric Trump defends his rapist father, he’s also defending his own mother’s rapist, so yeah the guy deserves to be spit on.— The Volatile Mermaid (@OhNoSheTwitnt) June 26, 2019
My favorite part of someone spitting on Eric Trump at The Aviary is not that someone spit on Eric Trump.— (((lowrentkicker))) (@lowrentkicker) June 26, 2019
It's that someone in at Chicago's nicest bar had the option to throw a drink at Eric Trump but was like, "You know how much this cocktail cost? I'm not throwing this."
Why would anyone waste good spit on Eric Trump?!?!— 🇹🇹Black🇭🇹Aziz🇳🇬aNANsi🇯🇲 (@Freeyourmindkid) June 26, 2019
Needless to say, bar servers shouldn't spit in people's drinks. But I do look forward to her denial: "He's not my type."https://t.co/71pDd7a2oy— Bill Kristol (@BillKristol) June 26, 2019
What was Eric trump wearing? Had he been drinking? #spitgate— Season (@SeasonO1) June 26, 2019
Some pointed out that the hypocrisy about this trending over recent news of migrant children being held in concentration camp-like settings by the government.
concerned someone spitting on Eric Trump is going to cause a larger conversation on “civility” than child concentration camps tomorrow.— laura (@wanderlustlaura) June 26, 2019
The Aviary’s Facebook page received a flurry of new reviews, mainly negative, on Wednesday morning.
“seems like a fun place to go until you got staff that spits on customers,” wrote one Facebook user. “is this what you teach them? I know in my restaurant they wouldn’t have a job any more. I hope you start to lose buissnes [sic] now.”
“Owners allow staff to spit on people who voted for someone they don’t like and they don’t even care enough to put out a statement,” wrote another.
“Excellent service. I have a wonderful time whenever I make the special trip to go there,” read one of the few positive reviews from this morning.
The incident didn’t draw any response from the president as of Wednesday morning, not on Twitter at least. Eric Trump’s own social media showed photos he uploaded of his time in Chicago hours after the incident took place, but made no reference to the spit.
- READ MORE:
- Eric Trump attacks George Conway for showing ‘utter disrespect’ toward his wife Kellyanne Conway
- Eric Trump warns Democrats will investigate ‘Fox & Friends’ if they win in November
- Eric Trump’s failed attempt to keep Stormy Daniels silent captivates Twitter
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque