- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
The New York Times reports that emails that were unsealed in a court filing as part of a federal lawsuit regarding partisan gerrymandering.
One of the emails, according to the news outlet, shows how Republicans wanted to put “Dem garbage” into districts in Michigan they already control and pack Black voters into a district near Detroit.
“In a glorious way that makes it easier to cram ALL of the Dem garbage in Wayne, Washtenaw, Oakland and Macomb counties into only four districts. Is there anyone on our side who doesn’t recognize that dynamic?” the email says, as reported by Bridge Michigan, a part of The Center for Michigan, a think tank.
In another email, a district that was shaped like a finger was jokingly referred to as giving the finger to Rep. Sander Levin, a Democrat.
“Perfect. It’s giving the finger to Sandy Levin,” the person wrote. “I love it.”
The federal lawsuit that brought the emails to light argues that Republicans in the state created unconstitutional partisan gerrymanders that violate voters First and Fourteenth Amendment rights.
Gerrymandering has been a fraught issue in Michigan. Earlier this summer, a group collected enough signatures for a measure to be put on a ballot in November that would let a citizens redistricting commission draw the legislative maps.
You can read all of the New York Times report here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).