- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Wednesday 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Wednesday 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Wednesday 1:13 PM
Conservatives have once again called on Congress to pull its $528 million in federal funding for Planned Parenthood after anti-abortion activists released a heavily edited video showing the group’s research director describing the process of preserving fetal tissue.
Warren, the Massachusetts Democrat who has captured the attention of her party’s progressive base in a way unseen since President Obama‘s 2008 campaign, denounced Republican senators for pushing the defunding measure in a speech on the Senate floor.
“Do you have any idea what year it is?” Warren asked them. “Did you fall down, hit your head, and think you woke up in the 1950s or the 1890s? Should we call for a doctor? Because I simply cannot believe that in the year 2015, the United States Senate would be spending its time trying to defund women’s health care centers. You know, on second thought, maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised. The Republicans have had a plan for years to strip away women’s rights to make choices over our own bodies.”
Abortions, which make up approximately 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s medical services, are not eligible for the federal funds that the group receives except in the cases of incest, rape, or danger to the life of the mother. Federal dollars cover other patient services, such as cancer screenings, birth control, pregnancy tests, and STD testing. If Planned Parenthood were defunded, millions would lose access to reproductive healthcare.
The Senate bill to do just that failed by a vote of 53 to 46. It was seven votes short of the 60 required to move it forward. But the House will vote on legislation to strip federal funding after Congress returns from its summer break, and the debate will continue when Congress takes up bills funding the entire government for the next fiscal year. Several conservative senators have said they will push for a government shutdown to prevent continued funding for Planned Parenthood.
Screengrab via Senator Elizabeth Warren/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.