- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records 7 Years Ago
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Today 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Today 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Today 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Today 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Today 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Today 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Today 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Today 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Today 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
Reports of voting machine bugs surface on social media
Multiple reports of voting machine mishaps have already begun surfacing on social media.
Election day has barely started and already reports of malfunctioning voting machines have lit up social media. Paranoid commenters are certain the machines are compromised. A report that voting machines can be easily hacked isn’t helping, either.
The most frequently reported concern is that machines are preferential to one candidate over the other, and complaints are coming from both sides of the aisle.
ThinkProgress reports that the Republican National Committee is concerned machines are turning votes for Romney into votes for Obama. A search for “voting machine changed my vote” on Twitter brings up a slew of conservatives claiming they were made to vote for Obama.
“What’s your reason for voting Obama-Biden? My voting machine changed my vote,” @masquer08er tweeted.
A viral post on Tumblr has claimed just the opposite, however: Obama votes are being hijacked and switched to Romney votes. The post implicates Romney’s son, Tagg, in the alleged fraud, since he’s supposedly an investor in a voting machine company—a report that has turned out to be completely unfounded.
The above allegations aren’t supported by any hard evidence. But on Reddit, a user did capture video of a voting machine acting bizarrely. The machine appears to have a miscalibrated touch screen, which causes it to select Romney when the voter presses Obama’s name. That video is at the top of Reddit right now.
“From the top of Romney’s button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama’s name was all active for Romney. From the bottom of that same checkbox to the bottom of the Obama button (basically a small white sliver) is what let me choose Obama,” the OP wrote. “All other buttons worked fine.”
Fortunately, there’s an online tool you can use to report it. Share the incident on the Daily Beast’s form, Having Trouble Voting.
So far, the the form only records one instance of a vote being changed—from Obama to Romney in swing state Ohio. But if a voting machine changed your vote, make it known here.
Photo by grafixtek/Flickr
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.