- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her 7 Years Ago
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? 7 Years Ago
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
Reports of voting machine bugs surface on social media
Multiple reports of voting machine mishaps have already begun surfacing on social media.
Election day has barely started and already reports of malfunctioning voting machines have lit up social media. Paranoid commenters are certain the machines are compromised. A report that voting machines can be easily hacked isn’t helping, either.
The most frequently reported concern is that machines are preferential to one candidate over the other, and complaints are coming from both sides of the aisle.
ThinkProgress reports that the Republican National Committee is concerned machines are turning votes for Romney into votes for Obama. A search for “voting machine changed my vote” on Twitter brings up a slew of conservatives claiming they were made to vote for Obama.
“What’s your reason for voting Obama-Biden? My voting machine changed my vote,” @masquer08er tweeted.
A viral post on Tumblr has claimed just the opposite, however: Obama votes are being hijacked and switched to Romney votes. The post implicates Romney’s son, Tagg, in the alleged fraud, since he’s supposedly an investor in a voting machine company—a report that has turned out to be completely unfounded.
The above allegations aren’t supported by any hard evidence. But on Reddit, a user did capture video of a voting machine acting bizarrely. The machine appears to have a miscalibrated touch screen, which causes it to select Romney when the voter presses Obama’s name. That video is at the top of Reddit right now.
“From the top of Romney’s button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama’s name was all active for Romney. From the bottom of that same checkbox to the bottom of the Obama button (basically a small white sliver) is what let me choose Obama,” the OP wrote. “All other buttons worked fine.”
Fortunately, there’s an online tool you can use to report it. Share the incident on the Daily Beast’s form, Having Trouble Voting.
So far, the the form only records one instance of a vote being changed—from Obama to Romney in swing state Ohio. But if a voting machine changed your vote, make it known here.
Photo by grafixtek/Flickr
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.