- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
Reports of voting machine bugs surface on social media
Multiple reports of voting machine mishaps have already begun surfacing on social media.
Election day has barely started and already reports of malfunctioning voting machines have lit up social media. Paranoid commenters are certain the machines are compromised. A report that voting machines can be easily hacked isn’t helping, either.
The most frequently reported concern is that machines are preferential to one candidate over the other, and complaints are coming from both sides of the aisle.
ThinkProgress reports that the Republican National Committee is concerned machines are turning votes for Romney into votes for Obama. A search for “voting machine changed my vote” on Twitter brings up a slew of conservatives claiming they were made to vote for Obama.
“What’s your reason for voting Obama-Biden? My voting machine changed my vote,” @masquer08er tweeted.
A viral post on Tumblr has claimed just the opposite, however: Obama votes are being hijacked and switched to Romney votes. The post implicates Romney’s son, Tagg, in the alleged fraud, since he’s supposedly an investor in a voting machine company—a report that has turned out to be completely unfounded.
The above allegations aren’t supported by any hard evidence. But on Reddit, a user did capture video of a voting machine acting bizarrely. The machine appears to have a miscalibrated touch screen, which causes it to select Romney when the voter presses Obama’s name. That video is at the top of Reddit right now.
“From the top of Romney’s button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama’s name was all active for Romney. From the bottom of that same checkbox to the bottom of the Obama button (basically a small white sliver) is what let me choose Obama,” the OP wrote. “All other buttons worked fine.”
Fortunately, there’s an online tool you can use to report it. Share the incident on the Daily Beast’s form, Having Trouble Voting.
So far, the the form only records one instance of a vote being changed—from Obama to Romney in swing state Ohio. But if a voting machine changed your vote, make it known here.
Photo by grafixtek/Flickr
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.