- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Today 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Today 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Today 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Today 11:06 AM
- Russian models are Instagramming life in Wuhan Today 11:00 AM
- Hillary Duff suggests ‘Lizzie McGuire’ revival was halted over adult storylines Today 10:37 AM
- Arrest warrant issued for 8chan founder Today 10:22 AM
- This YouTube time traveler says he’s a cyborg from 2050—and he wants you to buy merch Today 10:11 AM
- Women on Twitter are slaying the ‘Bad b*tch for a week’ challenge Today 9:30 AM
- Reddit’s CEO issues a dire warning about TikTok Today 9:03 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ episode 6 recap: ‘The Impossible Box’ Today 8:00 AM
- Faculty from over 100 schools join call for facial recognition ban Today 7:48 AM
- Ava DuVernay is making a sci-fi series for Amazon Today 6:50 AM
- Review: ‘Altered Carbon’ returns with an overcomplicated second season Today 6:00 AM
- Mike Pence, who fueled HIV outbreak, is now in charge of coronavirus outbreak Wednesday 9:15 PM
At least 26 people were killed in Egypt on Friday after gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians traveling to a monastery near the city of Minya, according to news reports.
The attackers were wearing fatigues and face masks and fired on the bus from separate vehicles, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry told CNN. The bus was traveling to St. Samuel Monastery, according to NBC News.
There were between eight and 10 gunmen, the Guardian reported, who fired “indiscriminately” at the bus and several cars traveling with it.
Approximately 25 other people were reportedly injured during the attacked, and men, women, and children are among those who were killed or injured.
Egyptian security forces have set up checkpoints and patrols on the desert road near where the attack occurred, according to Al Jazeera.
Christians in Egypt, who make up approximately 10 percent of the population, have been targeted recently.
The attack comes a month after attacks were made against Egyptian Coptic churches on Palm Sunday, where dozens of people were killed. The so-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for those attacks.
At least 45 people were killed and more than 100 people were injured in two separate suicide bomb attacks at churches in Tanta and Alexandria during the Palm Sunday attacks. A three-month state of emergency was enacted in response.
Pope Francis visited Egypt last month in a show of support for Christians. After his visit, the Islamic State called for Muslims to steer clear of Christian gatherings as they were targets for further attacks.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).