- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Saturday 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Saturday 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Saturday 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Saturday 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Saturday 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Saturday 6:30 AM
Massive New Year’s Eve fire breaks out at Dubai luxury hotel The Address
The blaze occurred just hours before Dubai was set to celebrate the New Year.
A massive blaze has consumed the Address hotel in Dubai, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, just hours before citizens and tourists began celebrating the New Year.
It it not yet clear whether the inferno has claimed any victims.
News of the fire, which is believed to have started at 9:30pm local time, spread quickly on Twitter and Periscope, where people nearby shared images of the fire that quickly engulfed much of the 63-story luxury hotel.
The Address was reportedly just about to begin its New Year’s Eve fireworks display, but it is not yet clear whether the blaze is related to that event.
The hotel is located in downtown Dubai, near the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.
Update 1:46pm CT, Dec. 31: Officials in Dubai say the fire is now 90 percent under control.
المكتب الإعلامي لحكومة دبي: السيطرة على 90% من الحريق في فندق العنوان داون تاون على أن يتم السيطرة على الحريق بالكامل خلال نصف ساعة
— Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) December 31, 2015
One person is said to have suffered a heart attack, and 14 people are said to have suffered minor injuries and one person suffered a moderate injury, according to officials. No serious injuries have been reported so far, though medical emergency teams are checking hotel guests.
Update 1:53pm CT, Dec. 31: Watch live news coverage of the fire below:
This story is developing.
Screengrab via Google Street View
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.