- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Today 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
Donald Trump’s security guard punched a Hispanic protester in the face
The campaign is pressing charges against the protester for what he did to the guard first.
A member of Trump’s security team punched a man in the face during a protest outside Trump Tower over the Republican presidential frontrunner’s plan to deport millions of undocumented immigrants and their families.
At the time, Trump was inside his New York City skyscraper announcing his pledge to the Republican National Committee that he would not run as an independent candidate if he failed to secure the party’s nomination in 2016.
Outside, meanwhile, a protester identified by NY1 as Efraín Galicia grabbed the Trump security guard from behind after the guard snatched a sign reading “Trump: Make America Racist Again” away from another protester.
The guard, whom the Daily Caller reports is Trump security director Keith Schiller, then swung around and punched Galicia.
The scuffle comes a little more than a week after Trump’s security team ejected Univision news anchor Jorge Ramos from a press conference after the Mexican-American journalist attempted to ask questions out of turn.
“Sit down, you weren’t called,” Trump told Ramos before his security guard grabbed the journalist by the shirt. “Go back to Univision.”
While Trump leads the 2016 GOP field by an average of 14 points, the Hispanic community has overwhelmingly negative views of him. A recent Gallup poll found that Trump’s net favorability rating among Hispanics was negative 51 percent.
Trump’s campaign told the New York Times on Thursday evening that it would “likely be pressing charges” against Galicia for grabbing their security guard.
H/T Gothamist | Illustration by Tiffany Pai
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.