- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Donald Trump rose on Father’s Day, checked the poll numbers, and then took to Twitter to celebrate.
The new Rasmussen Poll, one of the most accurate in the 2016 Election, just out with a Trump 50% Approval Rating.That's higher than O's #'s!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 18, 2017
The Rasmussen Poll is notoriously conservative-friendly, and even though this one particular poll says he’s at 50 percent approval—which really isn’t terribly great to begin with for a relatively new president—Rasmussen is an outlier at this point. Plus, people disputed his assertion that his poll numbers are better than Barack Obama’s were at the same point in his presidency.
As Twitter was sure to let him know.
It's hilarious that you're proud of an avg approval rating of 38% - the lowest of any president at this point in their admin pic.twitter.com/OadnCKLCHK— Ken Klippenstein (@kenklippenstein) June 18, 2017
Even though that's way higher than the real figure (37%), 50% is still *TERRIBLE* for a recently elected president!— Jules Suzdaltsev (@jules_su) June 18, 2017
So all of the polls that show Trump's low approval ratings are "fake" but the one slightly not horrible poll he finds is real. Got it. pic.twitter.com/HUhImbtgVB— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) June 16, 2017
Rasmussen had Trump at 43% three days ago—matching his second lowest finding on that poll since inauguration. https://t.co/w04czToofQ— Evan McMurry (@evanmcmurry) June 18, 2017
Also: in June of Obama's first year, his approval #'s were 55-45. https://t.co/Zv5PfRW0fD— Brad Mielke (@TheBradMielke) June 18, 2017
Ramussen:— Arieh Kovler (@ariehkovler) June 18, 2017
Obama 16 Jun 09 56% approve, 43% dis, net +4
Trump 16 Jun 17 50% approve, 50% dis, net -11
(net includes strength of approval) https://t.co/N9Qoohtqwg
As FiveThirtyEight shows that, in the most recent polling, Trump isn’t close to 50 percent approval anywhere other than Rasmussen. Plus, a poll just two days ago showed Trump has a 35 percent approval rating.
As the Los Angeles Times points out, this is the first time since late April that Trump has been this high on the Rasmussen poll.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.