- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
Internet to Trump: “You’re fired”
Almost half a million people have signed a petition asking Macy’s to cut its ties with business tycoon Donald Trump.
Real estate tycoon and reality television star Donald Trump has once again found himself in the middle of controversy this week. More than 450,000 people have signed a petition for Macy’s to cut ties with Trump, after he reportedly appeared in an upcoming commercial for the company.
The petition is hosted by SignOn.org, a spin-off of MoveOn.org, and it lists a variety of reasons behind the protest, including accusations of Trump of being sexist, racist, and a denier of climate change science. It also says that Trump does not live up to the “socially responsible” values Macy’s boasts about.
“The list goes on, but the point remains, Macy’s should dump Trump,” the petition says.
Although the petition’s intro doesn’t mention it, The New York Times reported that the effort was sparked after Macy’s shot a commercial with Trump. In it Trump doesn’t believe Santa Claus is the real Kris Kringle and tugs his beard to be sure—it’s a knock at Trump’s belief that President Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States.
By late Tuesday evening, the petition had gained more than 452,000 and the hashtag #DumpTrump was gaining popularity on Twitter. Hundreds of people were passing around the link to the petition in hopes of getting the department store to change its mind about its relationship with Trump. According to the petition, Macy’s CEO Terry Lundgren recently sent a letter to Trump noting that the company planned on expanding line of Trump-related products (shirts and ties) and the brand in general. It’s a promise that wasn’t sitting well with some people.
“Please, let’s get Trump off the air and out of the public consciousness. He isn’t a valid spokesperson for anyone,” wrote James Eason.
How Macy’s will respond remains to be seen, but with the petition gaining thousands of new signatures every hour as of Tuesday night, a response of some kind seems inevitable.
“If Trump’s in, I’m out,” wrote Pat Kennedy of Santa Paula, Calif. “Lots of other places to shop.”
Photo via Donald Trump/YouTube
Justin Franz is a Montana-based reporter and photographer who wrote about web culture for the Daily Dot. His work has more recently appeared in Flathead Living Magazine, Trains Magazine, and Travel + Leisure.