- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok 6 Days Ago
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? 6 Days Ago
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved 6 Days Ago
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari 6 Days Ago
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Today 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Today 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Today 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Today 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
Trump Jr. tries to trash Bill de Blasio—accidentally picks a fight with BTS fans instead
It’s not gonna be a fight he can win.
But in doing so, he accidentally picked a fight with one of the internet’s biggest fandoms.
de Blasio announced his presidential bid on Thursday, joining a long list of people seeking the party’s nomination to square off against Trump in 2020.
Trump Jr., who tweeted ahead of the announcement, said a presidential bid by the mayor was “going nowhere.” He continued that de Blasio should “clean up his backyard” before running for president. He attached a 27-second video that showed garbage, sleeping bags, and makeshift tents along the sidewalk near Central Park.
“Rather than do a PR stunt ‘run’ for President (we all know it’s going nowhere) maybe @NYCMayor should clean up his backyard first. This video from this morning should tell you all you need to know about his ‘leadership.’ What a clown show!!!” Trump Jr. wrote.
Rather than do a PR stunt “run” for President (we all know it’s going nowhere) maybe @NYCMayor should clean up his backyard first. This video from this morning should tell you all you need to know about his “leadership.” What a clown show!!! pic.twitter.com/E9kTUQXfTR
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) May 15, 2019
However, as some users on Twitter pointed out, the garbage was left over from people waiting to see a free concert from the K-Pop group BTS.
oh my fucking god https://t.co/VHIlxpxRw7
— d-9 ✈🏟🇬🇧 (@kardjoon) May 16, 2019
— Eric Schmeltzer (@JustSchmeltzer) May 16, 2019
Bts army camp pic.twitter.com/tlZEHL70Cm
— Lisa Inverse (@lisa_inverse) May 16, 2019
Context Matters ya'll. People were camped for a week for the BTS show, and once the show was over, they came back and cleaned up the site as there is proof of the site before, during the clean up and after. BTS and ARMYs try to stay out of politics, please leave us alone.
— BTS Maryland Fan (@btsnoonavote) May 16, 2019
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS FROM A BTS CONCERT IM LAUHGJNV https://t.co/JEOur49RNO
— 𝙛𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙖 (@ctjeon) May 16, 2019
armys lets get this donkey s worded 😛 https://t.co/BD5IqTOzMM
— ℓαყ🍒|| REPENT TO BTS (@LAYYSSUS) May 16, 2019
As Gothamist noted earlier this week, people have been waiting in line for over a week with camping gear to get a shot at getting into the free BTS concert at Good Morning America.
It appears Trump Jr. isn’t the only member of the family that has a disdain for the New York City mayor.
The president tweeted about de Blasio’s bid early Thursday.
“The Dems are getting another beauty to join their group. Bill de Blasio of NYC, considered the worst mayor in the U.S., will supposedly be making an announcement for president today. He is a JOKE, but if you like high taxes & crime, he’s your man. NYC HATES HIM!” the president tweeted.
The Dems are getting another beauty to join their group. Bill de Blasio of NYC, considered the worst mayor in the U.S., will supposedly be making an announcement for president today. He is a JOKE, but if you like high taxes & crime, he’s your man. NYC HATES HIM!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2019
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).