- Trump tells 4 congresswomen of color to go back to the countries they came from Sunday 4:56 PM
- Fans would like to see Andrea Arnold’s cut of ‘Big Little Lies’ Sunday 3:49 PM
- Disney’s new ‘Star Wars’ series had a budget the size of ‘Game of Thrones” final season Sunday 2:54 PM
- Uh-oh, we’re one step closer to having a robot army Sunday 2:20 PM
- Scarlett Johansson says she should be allowed to ‘play any person, or any tree, or any animal’ Sunday 1:06 PM
- Popular YouTube time traveler reveals true identity Sunday 11:46 AM
- Now that Disney is in charge, streaming service FX+ is on its way out Sunday 10:36 AM
- The Dairy Queen employee who made the viral marijuana cake instead of a ‘Moana’ one was fired Sunday 8:39 AM
- The fallacy of Amazon Prime Day: An argument for ignoring it completely Sunday 7:10 AM
- Will Black Cat ever get her own movie? Sunday 7:00 AM
- Why is QAnon so obsessed with taking down cults? Sunday 6:30 AM
- Inside the technology helping ICE deport immigrants Sunday 6:00 AM
- Your Netflix and porn addictions are contributing to global warming Saturday 5:42 PM
- Florida woman charged with a felony after posting video of daughter licking medical supplies Saturday 4:29 PM
- People are laughing at the 12% of men who think they can beat Serena Williams in tennis Saturday 3:02 PM
Trump Jr. tries to trash Bill de Blasio—accidentally picks a fight with BTS fans instead
It’s not gonna be a fight he can win.
But in doing so, he accidentally picked a fight with one of the internet’s biggest fandoms.
de Blasio announced his presidential bid on Thursday, joining a long list of people seeking the party’s nomination to square off against Trump in 2020.
Trump Jr., who tweeted ahead of the announcement, said a presidential bid by the mayor was “going nowhere.” He continued that de Blasio should “clean up his backyard” before running for president. He attached a 27-second video that showed garbage, sleeping bags, and makeshift tents along the sidewalk near Central Park.
“Rather than do a PR stunt ‘run’ for President (we all know it’s going nowhere) maybe @NYCMayor should clean up his backyard first. This video from this morning should tell you all you need to know about his ‘leadership.’ What a clown show!!!” Trump Jr. wrote.
Rather than do a PR stunt “run” for President (we all know it’s going nowhere) maybe @NYCMayor should clean up his backyard first. This video from this morning should tell you all you need to know about his “leadership.” What a clown show!!! pic.twitter.com/E9kTUQXfTR— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) May 15, 2019
However, as some users on Twitter pointed out, the garbage was left over from people waiting to see a free concert from the K-Pop group BTS.
oh my fucking god https://t.co/VHIlxpxRw7— WEMBLEY D1&2 (@kardjoon) May 16, 2019
Bts army camp pic.twitter.com/tlZEHL70Cm— Lisa Inverse (@lisa_inverse) May 16, 2019
Context Matters ya'll. People were camped for a week for the BTS show, and once the show was over, they came back and cleaned up the site as there is proof of the site before, during the clean up and after. BTS and ARMYs try to stay out of politics, please leave us alone.— BTS Maryland Fan (@btsnoonavote) May 16, 2019
armys lets get this donkey s worded 😛 https://t.co/BD5IqTOzMM— ℓαყ🍂|| REPENT TO BTS (@LAYYSSUS) May 16, 2019
As Gothamist noted earlier this week, people have been waiting in line for over a week with camping gear to get a shot at getting into the free BTS concert at Good Morning America.
It appears Trump Jr. isn’t the only member of the family that has a disdain for the New York City mayor.
The president tweeted about de Blasio’s bid early Thursday.
“The Dems are getting another beauty to join their group. Bill de Blasio of NYC, considered the worst mayor in the U.S., will supposedly be making an announcement for president today. He is a JOKE, but if you like high taxes & crime, he’s your man. NYC HATES HIM!” the president tweeted.
The Dems are getting another beauty to join their group. Bill de Blasio of NYC, considered the worst mayor in the U.S., will supposedly be making an announcement for president today. He is a JOKE, but if you like high taxes & crime, he’s your man. NYC HATES HIM!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2019
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).