- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants 4 Years Ago
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
Donald Trump used Jeb Bush’s mother against him in an Instagram attack ad
Instagram attack ads are a thing now, apparently?
The businessman-turned-2016-GOP-frontrunner’s latest Instagram post uses footage from a Today interview with Barbara Bush in which the former first lady discouraged her son from running for president.
“He’s by far the most qualified man, but no, I really don’t” want him to run, Bush said in the interview. “It’s a great country, there are a lot of great families. It’s not just four families or whatever, there’s just a lot of people out there that are very qualified and we’ve had enough Bushes. He’s the most qualified, but I don’t think he’ll run.”
The Trump attack ad, of course, cuts out the compliments and plays sad music under audio of her saying she doesn’t want Jeb to run. And when she mentions “other great families,” the ad shows footage of Trump and his family.
The video ends with the text “MOTHER KNOWS BEST JEB!”
Bush isn’t the first presidential candidate to take fire from Trump’s Instagram account. Trump attacked Hillary Clinton with a montage of clips about the scandals over her private email server and her role in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. diplomatic consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
Trump currently leads the Republican presidential field by 11 percentage points, according to the Real Clear Politics polling average.
Illustration via Max Fleishman
Once named one of Forbes’ 20 Under 20 and hired as a staff writer for the Daily Dot when he was still a senior in high school, William Turton is a rising tech reporter focusing on information security, hacking culture, and politics. Since leaving the Daily Dot in April 2016, his work has appeared on Gizmodo, the Outline, and Vice News Tonight on HBO.