- Marianne Williams announces plan for a Department of Peace 2 Years Ago
- PewDiePie marries Marzia—and shares photos of YouTube’s royal wedding 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Club América vs. Tigres UANL in the Leagues Cup semis 2 Years Ago
- Deadpool unmasked: Here’s everything you need to know about Marvel’s anti-hero Today 7:53 AM
- Fantasy football 2019: Your team-by-team AFC preview Today 7:45 AM
- Invader Zim is still delightfully weird in ‘Enter the Florpus’ Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ is getting a totally unnecessary re-release Today 6:43 AM
- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
Congressman demands White House turn over any Trump tapes
Sean Spicer has refused to deny the existence of recording devices in the White House.
Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi’s (D-Ill.) letter to White House Counsel Donald McGahn comes in response to Trump’s Friday morning tweet in which he suggested the possibility of “tapes” while threatening Comey over potential leaks. Trump’s vague tweet immediately sparked speculation over whether the president was recording conversations, igniting further comparisons to President Richard Nixon.
James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 12, 2017
“Earlier this morning, President Trump wrote a tweet referencing his taping of high-level conversations in the White House. In light of this revelation, I would respectfully request that the White House Counsel provide the House Oversight Committee with all tapes of the President’s communications with former FBI Director James Comey, of President Trump’s meeting with Russian officials which was closed to American press but not their Russian counterparts, and of any conversations regarding the hiring or firing of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn,” Krishnamoorthi said in a statement.
Trump’s surprise firing of Comey on Tuesday rang alarm bells across the political spectrum due to the FBI’s ongoing investigation into Russia’s attempts to influence the 2016 presidential election, which includes probes into ties between Trump associates and Russia.
Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn was forced to resign in mid-February after reports revealed he misled Vice President Mike Pence regarding the nature of his contact with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Flynn is one of more than a dozen Trump associates with known ties to Russian officials or other prominent figures, according to the Washington Post.
During Friday’s White House press briefing, Press Secretary Sean Spicer refused to answer whether there are recording devices in the White House. Asked whether Trump had recorded conversations, Spicer said, “The president has nothing further to add on that.”
Speaking with CNN on Friday, an unnamed source close to the former FBI director reportedly said that Comey is “not worried about any tapes,” adding that “if there is a tape, there’s nothing he is worried about.”
Read Kirshnamoorthi’s letter to McGahn below:
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.