- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
To avoid protesters outside the Hyatt Regency hotel near San Francisco’s airport, Trump and his entourage of Secret Service agents and handlers chose to enter the building through a rear entrance, which required the New York billionaire real-estate mogul to hop over a barrier and run up a small dirt embankment.
Trump is in San Francisco for the California Republican convention, where he was scheduled to speak at 12pm PT. His speech was delayed, however, after protesters broke through a police barricade and attempted to storm the hotel.
The Guardian reported that roughly 500 protesters had gathered outside the Hyatt. Some threw eggs at the police, and one window was broken. The protesters were reportedly mostly young, and some appeared to be of Mexican descent. They were chanting anti-Trump slogans in English and Spanish.
Protesters continued to clash with police as the afternoon wore on, with one arrest caught on video after yet another confrontation with officers.
Friday’s unrest followed protests outside a Trump rally in Costa Mesa, California, on Thursday that resulted in a smashed police cruiser, violence from both protesters and Trump supporters, and 20 arrests.
Trump eventually took the stage just before 1pm PT and address his peculiar entrance during his speech.
“That was not the easiest entrance I’ve ever made,” Trump said. “It felt like I was crossing the border, actually. I was crossing the border, but I got here.”
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.