- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
DNC tries to pander with tone-deaf Beyoncé meme, fails miserably
How does this keep happening.
A Democratic National Committee tweet from Saturday morning is epitomizing the “how do you do, fellow kids?“meme.
For some reason, prominent Democratic social media accounts keep succumbing to the pitfalls of being utterly tone-deaf online. Remember that time Hillary Clinton asked people on Twitter to explain how they felt about their student loan debt using three emojis or less?
How does your student loan debt make you feel?— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) August 12, 2015
Tell us in 3 emojis or less.
Apparently, no one has learned. Here’s today’s train wreck:
This is a whole mood.— The Democrats (@TheDemocrats) June 15, 2019
Text "Boy Bye" to 43367 to get this exclusive wallpaper. pic.twitter.com/reWksgbNEz
“This is a whole mood.”
From an optics perspective, this is just bad. This is the official Twitter account for the Democratic National Committee appropriating African Amerian Vernacular English (AAVE) to have Twitter users text a number that will sign them up for a notification list (it’s in the fine print).
So let’s take a look at the messaging. “Boy Bye.”
Somehow the even more incompetent thing on display here is the blatant example of negative narcissism. The “get Trump out of office” mentality that the DNC has adopted here explicitly tells potential voters who they are not, but does nothing to tell them who they are.
The messaging from the DNC here is clear. Instead of doing everything in its power to broadcast policy points and tell the American people what they can do for them, the DNC says they are perfectly content with resting on their laurels, simply saying they are not Trump, and hoping voters will see that as enough. It’s exactly what happened with Hillary, and it’s hard to not see it happen again, when this is the messaging.
Recent, less “hashtag relatable” tweets from the DNC confirm this narrative.
While Trump relaunches his reelection campaign, we're gearing up to make him a one-term president. 💪 https://t.co/GoFo77L17Y— The Democrats (@TheDemocrats) June 17, 2019
Other Twitter users took deep umbrage to the DNC’s efforts this weekend.
This is a whole mood... the house!— Backwoods Barbie (@AltMayo) June 17, 2019
Text "OKURRRRT" to 43367 to get this exclusive wallpaper. pic.twitter.com/nDmQ5xUaHP
wow @TheDemocrats couldn’t have found a better way to say “we do not truly understand or value our young black and brown constituents at all”— 🌱 (@sabaahfolayan) June 17, 2019
like, are you all being facetious with this? https://t.co/kSSVF8DsFZ
pokemon go to the polls https://t.co/XxVuC8MFZx— Steadman™ (@AsteadWesley) June 17, 2019
there are concentration camps at the border https://t.co/v8JsAlbjG6— jaboukie (@jaboukie) June 17, 2019
- DNC attempted hack was reportedly only a ‘test,’ officials say
- Popular 2016 conservative conspiracy theory takes a huge hit
- Grassroots liberals threaten a #DemExit after Tom Perez wins DNC chair election
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.