- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free 3 Years Ago
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
Darren Seals is not the first Ferguson activist to meet this fate.
The body of Darren Seals was found just before 2am Tuesday morning in a vehicle in Riverview after emergency responders extinguished the blaze. He was 29 years old.
Seals, well known within the community of activists against police violence, took part in the 2014 protests against the police killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer.
The death of Seals, which the St. Louis Bureau of Crimes Against Persons is investigating as a homicide, has sparked an outpouring of condolences from his community and suspicion about who killed him, with many speculating police officer involvement.
In late July, Seals said on Twitter that “10 detectives pulled me and my 14-year-old brother over, pointed guns on us, and told me, ‘choose your enemies wisely.’”
The nature of Seals’s apparent murder is not entirely unique. As the Root reports, another activist connected to the Ferguson protests, 20-year-old DeAndre Joshua, was discovered shot dead in a burning car in 2014.
This was also not Seals’s first encounter with gun violence. On Aug. 3, Seals posted on Facebook that three years prior he had suffered seven gunshot wounds that left him fighting for his life in the hospital.
“[Three] years ago on this day I was sitting in the hospital bed with 7 bullets in me,” Seals wrote. “I was smiling the whole time and nobody understood why but I just had this feeling in me saying ‘you survived this because it’s great things in your future.’”
St. Louis authorities have not yet released details on any suspects. They are asking that anyone with knowledge of the incident call CrimeStoppers at 1-866-371-8477 or county police at 314-615-5400.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.