- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Wednesday 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Wednesday 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Wednesday 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Wednesday 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Wednesday 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Wednesday 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Wednesday 11:29 AM
The body of Darren Seals was found just before 2am Tuesday morning in a vehicle in Riverview after emergency responders extinguished the blaze. He was 29 years old.
Seals, well known within the community of activists against police violence, took part in the 2014 protests against the police killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer.
The death of Seals, which the St. Louis Bureau of Crimes Against Persons is investigating as a homicide, has sparked an outpouring of condolences from his community and suspicion about who killed him, with many speculating police officer involvement.
In late July, Seals said on Twitter that “10 detectives pulled me and my 14-year-old brother over, pointed guns on us, and told me, ‘choose your enemies wisely.’”
The nature of Seals’s apparent murder is not entirely unique. As the Root reports, another activist connected to the Ferguson protests, 20-year-old DeAndre Joshua, was discovered shot dead in a burning car in 2014.
This was also not Seals’s first encounter with gun violence. On Aug. 3, Seals posted on Facebook that three years prior he had suffered seven gunshot wounds that left him fighting for his life in the hospital.
“[Three] years ago on this day I was sitting in the hospital bed with 7 bullets in me,” Seals wrote. “I was smiling the whole time and nobody understood why but I just had this feeling in me saying ‘you survived this because it’s great things in your future.’”
St. Louis authorities have not yet released details on any suspects. They are asking that anyone with knowledge of the incident call CrimeStoppers at 1-866-371-8477 or county police at 314-615-5400.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.