- If you have doubts about HBO’s ‘Watchmen,’ give it more time Sunday 9:00 PM
- Video shows moment coach disarmed student of shotgun, then hugged him Sunday 7:38 PM
- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Sunday 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Sunday 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Sunday 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Sunday 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Sunday 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Sunday 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Sunday 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Sunday 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Sunday 4:00 AM
On Friday, a federal judge ordered the founder of the Daily Stormer and known neo-Nazi Andrew Anglin to pay more than $700,000 to a Black woman for subjecting her to harassment by his followers at his behest, according to Buzzfeed News.
In 2017, after Taylor Dumpson became the first Black woman president of American University, bananas with racist messages on nooses began to appear on campus. The incident caught the attention of many, eventually Anglin. Anglin then used the neo-Nazi website to urge his followers to harass Dumpson with more racist, sexist, and threatening messages online.
Anglin shared links to Dumpson’s personal Facebook page and the student government’s Twitter account. Brian Andrew Ade was among the followers who abided Anglin by attacking Dumpson on Twitter. He called Dumpson a “chimpanzee,” among other racist stereotypes.
“The extent of the troll storm was significant and Mr. Anglin, through the Daily Stormer, intended that result or was reckless in his actions,” U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer said, ruling that Anglin’s actions were “racially motivated” and led to a “campaign of racial and gender harassment.”
Recently, a Montana judge ordered Anglin to pay $14 million to a Jewish realtor for harassing her in the same manner: a “troll storm.” Anglin has been labeled an extremist by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
- Neo-Nazis get police protection at Pride parade
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque