- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix 5 Months Ago
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ 5 Months Ago
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Today 11:46 AM
- Police officer suspended after video of a handcuffed Delonte West surfaces Today 11:33 AM
- ‘Girls don’t want a boyfriend’ meme leaves boyfriends in 2019 Today 11:21 AM
- Are these tweets about ‘The Bachelor’ or Trump’s impeachment? Today 10:45 AM
- Likely file Saudi prince sent to Jeff Bezos’ to hack his phone revealed Today 10:10 AM
- Will Olivia Jade have to testify against her mother, Lori Loughlin, in bribery trial? Today 10:07 AM
- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ Today 9:26 AM
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? Today 8:59 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments Today 8:53 AM
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
On Friday, a federal judge ordered the founder of the Daily Stormer and known neo-Nazi Andrew Anglin to pay more than $700,000 to a Black woman for subjecting her to harassment by his followers at his behest, according to Buzzfeed News.
In 2017, after Taylor Dumpson became the first Black woman president of American University, bananas with racist messages on nooses began to appear on campus. The incident caught the attention of many, eventually Anglin. Anglin then used the neo-Nazi website to urge his followers to harass Dumpson with more racist, sexist, and threatening messages online.
Anglin shared links to Dumpson’s personal Facebook page and the student government’s Twitter account. Brian Andrew Ade was among the followers who abided Anglin by attacking Dumpson on Twitter. He called Dumpson a “chimpanzee,” among other racist stereotypes.
“The extent of the troll storm was significant and Mr. Anglin, through the Daily Stormer, intended that result or was reckless in his actions,” U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer said, ruling that Anglin’s actions were “racially motivated” and led to a “campaign of racial and gender harassment.”
Recently, a Montana judge ordered Anglin to pay $14 million to a Jewish realtor for harassing her in the same manner: a “troll storm.” Anglin has been labeled an extremist by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
- Neo-Nazis get police protection at Pride parade
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque