- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges 2 Weeks Ago
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Today 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Ravens in NFL preseason action Today 11:26 AM
On Friday, a federal judge ordered the founder of the Daily Stormer and known neo-Nazi Andrew Anglin to pay more than $700,000 to a Black woman for subjecting her to harassment by his followers at his behest, according to Buzzfeed News.
In 2017, after Taylor Dumpson became the first Black woman president of American University, bananas with racist messages on nooses began to appear on campus. The incident caught the attention of many, eventually Anglin. Anglin then used the neo-Nazi website to urge his followers to harass Dumpson with more racist, sexist, and threatening messages online.
Anglin shared links to Dumpson’s personal Facebook page and the student government’s Twitter account. Brian Andrew Ade was among the followers who abided Anglin by attacking Dumpson on Twitter. He called Dumpson a “chimpanzee,” among other racist stereotypes.
“The extent of the troll storm was significant and Mr. Anglin, through the Daily Stormer, intended that result or was reckless in his actions,” U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer said, ruling that Anglin’s actions were “racially motivated” and led to a “campaign of racial and gender harassment.”
Recently, a Montana judge ordered Anglin to pay $14 million to a Jewish realtor for harassing her in the same manner: a “troll storm.” Anglin has been labeled an extremist by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
- Neo-Nazis get police protection at Pride parade
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque