- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
- People are sharing their wholesome stories with #Hey19YearOldMe Saturday 9:20 AM
- Review: The Joule is a pricey, sleek, easy-to-use entry into sous vide Saturday 8:00 AM
Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) partly answered a question posed to him during the first of two initial 2020 Democratic primary debates in Spanish on Wednesday night, but Sen. Cory Booker’s (D-N.J.) reaction caught the attention of people online.
O’Rourke was asked about a tax rate for Americans before answering the question partly in Spanish.
“This economy has got to work for everyone,” O’Rourke said. “And right now we know that it isn’t, and it’s going to take all of us coming together to make sure it does.”
The former Texas congressman, who lost to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) in a close Senate race during the 2018 midterm elections, then pivoted to talking in Spanish.
However, a small moment from Booker—where he looked side-eyed at his fellow 2020 hopeful—garnered attention.
I turned Cory Booker’s face listening to Beto speak Spanish into a meme pic.twitter.com/DoWDbOOcDJ— It's Always Sunny in Ram Nation (@RVA_Ram36) June 27, 2019
It quickly caught aflame on Twitter as people watched along.
Cory Booker's side eye at Beto O'Rourke speaking Spanish is priceless.#DemDebate— Charlotte Clymer🏳️🌈 (@cmclymer) June 27, 2019
Cory Booker watching Beto speak Spanish is shook honey— Jonathan Van Ness (@jvn) June 27, 2019
It's been like 10 minutes and I am still thinking about Beto speaking Spanish and Cory Booker's face.— Yamiche Alcindor (@Yamiche) June 27, 2019
Cory Booker watching Beto speak Spanish: pic.twitter.com/Aw3BpLD4eP— haley cordray (@haleycordray) June 27, 2019
Later in the debate, Booker also answered a question partly in Spanish. Perhaps he was bothered because Beto stole his big thunder.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).