- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Friday 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Friday 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Friday 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Friday 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Friday 8:58 AM
After losing the Virginia primary for governor in 2017, where he ran on a pro-Confederacy platform, Stewart tried his hand at challenging Kaine, Virginia’s popular incumbent senator. His campaign was beset by concerns that it was cozy with racists and mocked for Stewart’s obsession with trying to paint Kaine as a member of antifa.
When pictures of Stewart’s election night celebration party were posted moments before his race was declared over, people on Twitter pounced.
Hello from the Corey Stewart election night party at the Harbour Grill pic.twitter.com/l2RmDcnUVN— william steakin (@wsteaks) November 6, 2018
"Separate checks, please." https://t.co/vtI4NpzPWI— Hunter (@HunterDK) November 7, 2018
Oof. But that white supremacist deserves it. https://t.co/YpX9acZWm7— Markos Moulitsas (@markos) November 7, 2018
This is gold. Pure, unadulterated, gold. https://t.co/P1sCRlEhMr— Evan Brown (@Baman2113) November 7, 2018
A thread of defeat. https://t.co/4TjJzjHv4I— kristen g ⭐️ 208A1🌲, ⭐️⭐️ 210A4🌹 (@nomadpdx) November 7, 2018
wild to see the confederacy still taking Ls in the year of our lord 2018 https://t.co/dJbCDBuM4I— Jay Willis (@jaywillis) November 7, 2018
According to William Steakin, a reporter with the Independent Journal Review, the election party was unable to change the channel at the bar, which was playing coverage of the midterms by a very liberal site called The Young Turks.
annnnnd the staff has given up, @TheYoungTurks is the leading coverage here at Corey Stewart’s election party.— william steakin (@wsteaks) November 7, 2018
I think word is getting around that the race has been called. Someone just said, “Fuck Kaine, I hate that guy,” while @cenkuygur blares in the background. pic.twitter.com/A3tvwpFhQH
According to Steakin, there was one bright spot: The chicken wings were excellent.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]