- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Friday 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Friday 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Friday 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Friday 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Friday 9:19 AM
Former FBI director James Comey—who has become a figurehead of the anti-Trump movement ever since he was fired by the president—earned praise from the left for his interview with George Stephanopoulos last night.
In it, he called President Donald Trump morally unfit to lead the nation.
I have serious differences with James Comey over his handling of the email investigation, but on two points, I am in solid agreement: Donald Trump does not reflect the values of America and is morally unfit to be President.— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) April 16, 2018
However, for those on the opposite ideological spectrum—especially those on the far-right—the Comey interview was everything that is wrong with both the left-leaning media and those in the highest echelons of government.
"Values matter. This president does not reflect the values of this country." --#JamesComey— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) April 16, 2018
That exact phrase is how the #Comey "interview" just ended. It was nothing but a salacious gossip session full of unverifiable accusations against @realDonaldTrump. What a joke.
Wow, .@Comey puts down the American people for voting for @realDonaldTrump like he is the authority on morality. FBI is under investigation 4 HRC and Trump Russia investigation. It appears Russian chaos campaign aided unwittingly by Comey, Brennan, Clapper, McCabe & others - sad.— Sara A. Carter (@SaraCarterDC) April 16, 2018
Comey, who has been accused by both sides of being petty in his book, A Higher Loyalty, was blasted for continuing to talk about Trump’s appearance with Stephanapolus.
Comey: talking about Trump’s hair, says he looks like he was wearing tanning goggles— this is Comey’s impression? Got to say, how incredibly weird for a former FBI Director...— Sara A. Carter (@SaraCarterDC) April 16, 2018
Comey’s response to Russia having compromising material on President Trump also was maddening to many as he vacillated—simply saying it’s “possible”—leaving a major issue extremely open-ended.
By excoriating President Trump’s character and then speculating that he is compromised by an adversary, does the former disgraced FBI Director realize that he is advancing a narrative that plays right into the hands of the Kremlin? https://t.co/Ynkr9wMPH9— Nick Short (@PoliticalShort) April 16, 2018
Some also felt Comey brazenly admitted to illegal acts in the interview, which should be prosecuted.
That was a line echoed by the president this morning.
Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 16, 2018
Sean Hannity, the most prominent conservative media personality of the Trump movement, was particularly upset about the line of questioning Comey received, believing it to be biased, and calling Stephanapolous an inappropriately sympathetic interviewer.
So @GStephanopoulos do you know 18 USC 793? How many people do you know that delete 33,000 emails, acid wash (bleach bit) hard drives, and beat the shit out of blackberries with hammers? How many Investigations start with an exoneration before Investigation?— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) April 16, 2018
Another ? @GStephanopoulos do you think it’s odd that a former FBI Director is obsessed with the size of a Presidents hands, tie length, color of his skin, and eyes, crowd size? And why didn’t Comey confirm the dossier used to obtain a FISC warrant? Did he lie to FISA judges?— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) April 16, 2018
Who Comey voted for was another line seized on by those on the far-right, especially when Comey revealed that his children would have liked to have seen Hillary Clinton win.
#JamesComey's wife voted for Hillary & just admitted during the #Comey interview that a lot of her friends worked for Hillary Clinton.— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) April 16, 2018
Funny how that was never disclosed when Comey was @FBI Director. Seems like a MAJOR conflict of interest. I wonder who his wife's friends are..
Imagine being one of #JamesComey’s offspring.— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) April 16, 2018
He has 5 kids and a Democrat wife who marched in the Women’s March.
If those were my parents, I wouldn’t even talk to them, let alone be seen in public with them.
Despite being enraged by it, conservatives also simultaneously dismissed it after it was over.
#ComeyInterview summed up in 2 words:— Laura Loomer (@LauraLoomer) April 16, 2018
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]