- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
In their never-ending war against the brands being too woke these days, conservatives are bound to have the occasional misfire, as they constantly castigate company after company for not fighting against shifting social norms.
Like today, when a fake Nintendo account made a picture of Mario and Luigi kissing and tweeted it to promote Pride Month.
Not only was it gay, but Mario and Luigi are also brothers, so it was incest gay. A couple of prominent conservatives were livid. (And didn’t realize it wasn’t real.)
Stop this immediately. Delete this garbage! pic.twitter.com/FUMtLLqkGs— Dick Holladay (@uKeepWhatuKiII) June 2, 2019
And incest??? Mario and Luigi are brothers!— Aaron Rubin (@AaronBRubin) June 3, 2019
It led to widespread mockery. Because, again, this was not Nintendo, but a parody account.
very disappointed that Nintendo would tweet this— 9 V O L T (@9_volt_) June 3, 2019
Thanks for standing up for FREEDOM DR. SEB— Shoshana Weissmann, Sloth Committee Chair (@senatorshoshana) June 3, 2019
It’s a parody account, Doctor.— Nick Stolte (@StolteNick) June 3, 2019
you're literally too dumb to insult— adrian crawford (@Crawf33) June 3, 2019
But with Pride Month lasting until the end of June, expect more contrived outrage at brands, whether they are real or fake.
- Conservatives at CPAC can’t stop talking about hamburgers
- Watch Seb Gorka get dressed down by a caller on C-SPAN
- Former Trump aide Sebastian Gorka wanted on gun charges in Hungary
- All the wild things Seb Gorka’s done since leaving the White House
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]