- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement 8 Months Ago
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
In their never-ending war against the brands being too woke these days, conservatives are bound to have the occasional misfire, as they constantly castigate company after company for not fighting against shifting social norms.
Like today, when a fake Nintendo account made a picture of Mario and Luigi kissing and tweeted it to promote Pride Month.
Not only was it gay, but Mario and Luigi are also brothers, so it was incest gay. A couple of prominent conservatives were livid. (And didn’t realize it wasn’t real.)
Stop this immediately. Delete this garbage! pic.twitter.com/FUMtLLqkGs— Dick Holladay (@uKeepWhatuKiII) June 2, 2019
And incest??? Mario and Luigi are brothers!— Aaron Rubin (@AaronBRubin) June 3, 2019
It led to widespread mockery. Because, again, this was not Nintendo, but a parody account.
very disappointed that Nintendo would tweet this— 9 V O L T (@9_volt_) June 3, 2019
Thanks for standing up for FREEDOM DR. SEB— Shoshana Weissmann, Sloth Committee Chair (@senatorshoshana) June 3, 2019
It’s a parody account, Doctor.— Nick Stolte (@StolteNick) June 3, 2019
you're literally too dumb to insult— adrian crawford (@Crawf33) June 3, 2019
But with Pride Month lasting until the end of June, expect more contrived outrage at brands, whether they are real or fake.
- Conservatives at CPAC can’t stop talking about hamburgers
- Watch Seb Gorka get dressed down by a caller on C-SPAN
- Former Trump aide Sebastian Gorka wanted on gun charges in Hungary
- All the wild things Seb Gorka’s done since leaving the White House
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]