- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law 3 Weeks Ago
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
No, this wasn’t a real Nintendo tweet.
In their never-ending war against the brands being too woke these days, conservatives are bound to have the occasional misfire, as they constantly castigate company after company for not fighting against shifting social norms.
Like today, when a fake Nintendo account made a picture of Mario and Luigi kissing and tweeted it to promote Pride Month.
— Nintendo of America (@NlntedoAmerica) June 1, 2019
Not only was it gay, but Mario and Luigi are also brothers, so it was incest gay. A couple of prominent conservatives were livid. (And didn’t realize it wasn’t real.)
Stop this immediately. Delete this garbage! pic.twitter.com/FUMtLLqkGs
— Dick Holladay (@uKeepWhatuKiII) June 2, 2019
And incest??? Mario and Luigi are brothers!
— Aaron Rubin (@AaronBRubin) June 3, 2019
It led to widespread mockery. Because, again, this was not Nintendo, but a parody account.
very disappointed that Nintendo would tweet this
— 9 V O L T (@9_volt_) June 3, 2019
Thanks for standing up for FREEDOM DR. SEB
— Shoshana Weissmann, Sloth Committee Chair (@senatorshoshana) June 3, 2019
It’s a parody account, Doctor.
— Nick Stolte (@StolteNick) June 3, 2019
you're literally too dumb to insult
— adrian crawford (@Crawf33) June 3, 2019
But with Pride Month lasting until the end of June, expect more contrived outrage at brands, whether they are real or fake.
- Conservatives at CPAC can’t stop talking about hamburgers
- Watch Seb Gorka get dressed down by a caller on C-SPAN
- Former Trump aide Sebastian Gorka wanted on gun charges in Hungary
- All the wild things Seb Gorka’s done since leaving the White House
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]