- Swipe This! My boyfriend is addicted to porn. Should I leave him? 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
Congressman’s weird, NSFW ‘Benihana’ tweet was a staffer’s fault
Can we really trust that Rep. Keith Ellison enjoys Weird Twitter like the rest of us?
Sure, plenty of people enjoy a nice Japanese dinner prepared by a chef who’s got great knife skills.
But among official Twitter accounts belonging to members of Congress, only that of Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) take it up several notches by retweeting Weird Twitter‘s statement of “hell yeah benihana up in this bitch,” accompanied by a photo of an absolute disaster of homemade cooking: raw meat sizzling bare on a junky stove.
hell yeah benihana up in this bitch pic.twitter.com/n9vwx4r9yn
— michael (@michaeljhudson) June 23, 2014
As noticed by the Sunlight Foundation’s Politwoops service, @keithellison almost immediately deleted the retweet, and it would have likely gone unnoticed if there weren’t bots to automatically log every single deleted tweet by a member of Congress.
An aide for Ellison, requesting anonymity, took the blame for the retweet, telling the Daily Dot that it was an honest mistake, meant to be from a personal account, and that Ellison doesn’t actually cook food scattered on his stove like some kind of animal.
Update: After speaking with the Daily Dot on the condition of anonymity, Ellison staffer Isi Kirshner-Breen has publicly taken responsibiity for the errant Benihana tweet.
— Isi Kirshner-Breen (@isikirshner) August 11, 2014
Photo via Keith Ellison (CC BY SA 2.0) | Remix by Jason Reed
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.