- Illinois Republicans share ‘jihad squad’ meme of 4 Dem congresswomen 9 Months Ago
- How a deepfake gets made 9 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 online 9 Months Ago
- The MCU’s Phase 4 is all about Marvel getting weird Today 7:07 AM
- How alt porn site SuicideGirls gets women to pose naked for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why did the GOP launch a website hyping socialist candidates? Today 6:30 AM
- The macrophilia and size-change fetish communities are made possible through the magic of the internet Today 6:00 AM
- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
Conservatives chant ‘CNN sucks’ after slogan seen on bomb suspect’s van
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
The chant came after Trump’s call to unity.
Conservatives attending the Young Black Leadership Summit on Friday chanted “CNN sucks” during President Donald Trump’s address, just days after the network was targeted in a bomb threat and as images emerge of the suspect’s van—coincidentally sporting a “CNN sucks” sticker.
Trump began his remarks by announcing the arrest of 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, allegedly behind the string of suspicious packages containing pipe bombs sent to high-profile Democrats and CNN this week, before calling on Americans to unify.
“We must show the world that we are united together in peace and love and harmony as fellow American citizens,” the president said. “There is no country like our country and every day we are showing the world just how truly great we are.”
However, as his speech continued and Trump began to criticize what he called “fake polls” members of the crowd began to shout “fake news” and chant “CNN sucks.”
Awaiting Trump:— Benny (@bennyjohnson) October 26, 2018
A packed room in the White House full of young conservative black people chanting:
“Build the wall”
“Four more years”
This is gonna be a sight to behold: pic.twitter.com/BXH1kuyPvU
Hardly shocking, given the president’s consistent criticism of the network and that the slogan has become somewhat of a meme among Trump supporters.
However, that very morning footage of Soyac’s white van being taken into custody had been broadcast on several news networks.
Close up pictures taken of the van revealed dozens of pro-Trump stickers and, notably, a “CNN sucks” sticker on the window.
Some clearer pictures pic.twitter.com/oTYAsUqOZ5— Robert Maguire (@RobertMaguire_) October 26, 2018
Coincidence? Possibly. What is evident, however, is that Trump’s call for unity was quickly forgotten by both him and his audience as he dragged his enemies to please the baying crowd.
Trump hits "globalists" at WH event after call for unity in wake of bomb-scare suspects arrested. Several audience members shout out "George Soros" and others shout "lock 'em up." Trump chuckles, points and repeats "lock 'em up."— Jordan Fabian (@Jordanfabian) October 26, 2018
In an earlier statement, Trump called the attacks “despicable.”
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.