- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Tuesday 1:16 PM
Yesterday, President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski was called out for lying to the media during his testimony in the House Judiciary Committee’s impeachment inquiry. CNN reacted by inviting him on New Day With Alisyn Camerota and John Berman this morning.
People were not impressed.
Lewandowski’s combative congressional testimony featured several viral moments, such as when he accused Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) of revealing to his children that the tooth fairy doesn’t exist, and when he told Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) that he keeps all his notes from conversations with Trump in “a big safe” with “a lot of guns.”
One of the stand-out moments came when Lewandowski was being grilled about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s finding that Trump had directed him to tell then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions to limit the scope of the Mueller investigation.
Lewandowski, who at one time was reportedly considered for White House chief of staff, admitted that the report was accurate, giving counsel Barry Berke an opening to ask about an appearance on MSNBC during which Lewandowski said that Trump had never directed him to do any such thing.
Lewandowski’s response: “I have no obligation to be honest to the media because they’re just as dishonest as anybody else.”
Many took this as an admission that he routinely lies to the media.
Some outlets pointedly refrain from interviewing people who take liberties with the truth. CNN, apparently, is not one of those outlets. (Lewandowski is also a former CNN contributor.)
These apples are bananas.— Pedro Nicolaci da Costa (@pdacosta) September 18, 2019
C LEWANDOWSKI: I would lie to you. I would lie to you honey. I wanna say something that isn’t true. I’m asking you, teevee, let me lie-ee-ie to you— Eric Rauchway (@rauchway) September 18, 2019
Tuesday, Lewandowski says under oath: “I have no obligation to be honest to the media.”— ryan teague beckwith (@ryanbeckwith) September 18, 2019
Especially after yesterday, anyone who invites Lewandowski to a TV show, radio show, podcast, daytime panel show, or, hell, a church spaghetti dinner is undermining their own integrity. These people are villains and they have to be marginalized, not normalized. Stop it, @CNN.— Bob Cesca (@bobcesca_go) September 18, 2019
Although CNN was roasted for inviting Lewandowski on the network, some who actually watched Alisyn Camerota’s interview were impressed. Camerota pressed Lewandowski on several matters from his testimony, including his remarks about his truthfulness with the media or lack thereof. When Lewandowski attempted to dodge her questions and deflect, she called him out on it.
“Are you lying now, for instance?” Camerota asked. “I’m as honest as I can be as often as I can be,” Lewandowski responded.
At one point, Camerota accused him of “listening with his mouth.”
This @CNN interview with Corey Lewandowski is not going well.— Zac Petkanas (@Zac_Petkanas) September 18, 2019
Alisyn Camerota is doing an incredible job.
At the end of the segment, Camerota dismissed Lewandowski by saying, “Thank you very much for attempting to explain how you approach the truth.”
“Thank you for trying to cover me fairly,” Lewandowski responded.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.