- TSA agents are the latest tool in the government shutdown meme war 3 Years Ago
- YouTube still hosting bestiality images year after crackdown pledge 3 Years Ago
- YouTuber quits fight after Darth Vader fan film claimed by Disney Today 3:26 PM
- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit Today 2:26 PM
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care Today 2:00 PM
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc Today 1:51 PM
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind Today 1:35 PM
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Today 1:14 PM
- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter Today 12:24 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins season 2 on a cheerful note Today 11:49 AM
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’ Today 11:48 AM
- Mysterious Washington Post parody predicts Trump’s resignation (updated) Today 11:42 AM
- YouTube cracks down on challenges, pranks Today 11:04 AM
- Upskirting will soon be illegal in England Today 10:45 AM
- Jake Paul calls Keemstar a ‘piece of trash’ for ‘body-shaming’ Erika Costell Today 10:18 AM
U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill announces breast cancer diagnosis on Tumblr
‘It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery.’
Sen. Claire McCaskill announced in a Tumblr post on Monday that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.
“I very recently learned that I have breast cancer. It was detected through a regular mammogram,” wrote McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. “It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery.”
McCaskill, 62, said she would receive treatment over the next three weeks in St. Louis.
“During this time my staff will continue to assist Missourians and I will be posting on my Senate website how I would have voted on any matters that come before the Senate during my absence,” she added, “which I’ll also enter into the Congressional record.”
Born in Rolla, Missouri, McCaskill began her legal career in 1978 as an assistant prosecutor in Kansas City and has been blazing a trail for women in Missouri politics ever since.
In 1992, McCaskill became the first woman elected Jackson County Prosecutor. She was the first person in Missouri history to defeat a sitting governor in a primary race. And in 2006, she became the first woman from Missouri elected to the U.S. Senate.
About one in eight woman will be diagnosed in the U.S. with invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetimes. The most common symptom is a lump or mass in the breast. The American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms for woman ages 40 to 54, and screenings twice a year for older women.
Photo via nonorganical/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.