- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook 3 Years Ago
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future 3 Years Ago
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Today 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Today 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Today 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Today 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Today 12:13 PM
- The Disney-Fox deal is finalized Today 12:08 PM
- Beto likes to stand on counters—and there are memes to prove it Today 10:47 AM
- House promises April vote on bill to restore net neutrality rules Today 9:58 AM
- Here’s how many YouTube subscribers Shane Dawson lost for his old bestiality joke Today 9:26 AM
- Drag queen spreads joy to toddler, world with ‘Baby Shark’ performance Today 9:21 AM
- How many ‘chuggas’ should come before choo choo? Today 9:10 AM
- Cory Booker’s weirdly sensual relationship with coffee resurfaces Today 8:31 AM
- Everything you need to know about gaming chat client Discord Today 8:00 AM
U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill announces breast cancer diagnosis on Tumblr
‘It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery.’
Sen. Claire McCaskill announced in a Tumblr post on Monday that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.
“I very recently learned that I have breast cancer. It was detected through a regular mammogram,” wrote McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. “It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery.”
McCaskill, 62, said she would receive treatment over the next three weeks in St. Louis.
“During this time my staff will continue to assist Missourians and I will be posting on my Senate website how I would have voted on any matters that come before the Senate during my absence,” she added, “which I’ll also enter into the Congressional record.”
Born in Rolla, Missouri, McCaskill began her legal career in 1978 as an assistant prosecutor in Kansas City and has been blazing a trail for women in Missouri politics ever since.
In 1992, McCaskill became the first woman elected Jackson County Prosecutor. She was the first person in Missouri history to defeat a sitting governor in a primary race. And in 2006, she became the first woman from Missouri elected to the U.S. Senate.
About one in eight woman will be diagnosed in the U.S. with invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetimes. The most common symptom is a lump or mass in the breast. The American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms for woman ages 40 to 54, and screenings twice a year for older women.
Photo via nonorganical/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.