- Yes, Tifa’s breasts are smaller in Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Here’s why Today 1:33 PM
- Google admits bug could let people spy on Nest cameras Today 1:29 PM
- The Trump 2020 bot campaign has begun Today 1:10 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in July 2019 Today 12:39 PM
- Suicides in the U.S. are increasing at terrifying rates Today 12:32 PM
- Hannah’s season of ‘The Bachelorette’ goes up in smoke amid drama, receipts Today 12:27 PM
- Homophobic pastor blocked from hosting event at Cracker Barrel Today 12:01 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in July 2019 Today 12:01 PM
- Biden faces backlash for remarks about working with segregationist senators Today 10:58 AM
- J.J. Abrams’ 20-year-old son is writing Marvel’s new Spider-Man comic Today 10:55 AM
- Oops: Christians petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime’s ‘Good Omens’ Today 10:12 AM
- Popular YouTuber threatens suicide on social media, goes missing Today 9:17 AM
- ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ is finally coming to Netflix Today 9:07 AM
- Congress isn’t too keen on Facebook starting a cryptocurrency Today 8:56 AM
- Keanu Reeves could join the MCU, according to Kevin Feige Today 8:02 AM
U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill announces breast cancer diagnosis on Tumblr
‘It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery.’
Sen. Claire McCaskill announced in a Tumblr post on Monday that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.
“I very recently learned that I have breast cancer. It was detected through a regular mammogram,” wrote McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. “It’s a little scary, but my prognosis is good and I expect a full recovery.”
McCaskill, 62, said she would receive treatment over the next three weeks in St. Louis.
“During this time my staff will continue to assist Missourians and I will be posting on my Senate website how I would have voted on any matters that come before the Senate during my absence,” she added, “which I’ll also enter into the Congressional record.”
Born in Rolla, Missouri, McCaskill began her legal career in 1978 as an assistant prosecutor in Kansas City and has been blazing a trail for women in Missouri politics ever since.
In 1992, McCaskill became the first woman elected Jackson County Prosecutor. She was the first person in Missouri history to defeat a sitting governor in a primary race. And in 2006, she became the first woman from Missouri elected to the U.S. Senate.
About one in eight woman will be diagnosed in the U.S. with invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetimes. The most common symptom is a lump or mass in the breast. The American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms for woman ages 40 to 54, and screenings twice a year for older women.
Photo via nonorganical/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.