- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed 1 Year Ago
- Stephen A. Smith is baby 1 Year Ago
- Tfue releases statement on FaZe Clan lawsuit, says his contract is ‘f*cked’ 1 Year Ago
- People are using an app to out gropers on Japan’s subway Today 11:24 AM
- Trump misspelled ‘accomplishments’ on handwritten notes, photo shows Today 11:12 AM
- HUD proposal would allow homeless shelters to refuse trans people Today 10:44 AM
- Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ remake isn’t terrible Today 10:11 AM
- Police under investigation after running over 1-year-old child Today 9:16 AM
- Who is Jannah, the breakout star of ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’? Today 9:10 AM
- Trump revives his ‘dumb as a rock’ insult for Rex Tillerson Today 9:03 AM
- Forget Hot Jafar. All hail Fat Ursula Today 8:14 AM
- How to watch ‘The Affair’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Olivia Wilde’s ‘Booksmart’ is a teen comedy that will actually age well Today 7:45 AM
- Conservative rising star Kyle Kashuv busted using the N-word a whole bunch Today 7:14 AM
- How to watch ‘The Name of the Rose’ for free Today 7:00 AM
Chris Christie warns that Trump’s ‘hyperbolic’ speech could hurt him in Mueller probe
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
He also said Trump ‘should never walk into’ a room with Mueller.
Christie, who was the first Republican presidential candidate to back Trump during the 2016 election, made the comments on Sunday during a panel on ABC’s This Week.
“One of the things that makes the president who he is, is that he’s a salesman, and salesmen at times tend to be hyperbolic, and this president has certainly tended to be that,” he said. “That’s OK when you’re working on Congress. It is not OK when you’re sitting talking to federal agents because, 18 U.S.C. 1001 is false statements to federal agents, that’s a crime, that can send you to jail.”
Fmr. Gov. @ChrisChristie tells @GStephanopoulos Pres. Trump should not meet with Special Counsel Mueller: "He's a salesman, and salesmen at times tend to be hyperbolic… That’s ok when you’re working on Congress. It is not ok when you’re sitting talking to federal agents." pic.twitter.com/saiGHUCbT9
— This Week (@ThisWeekABC) April 1, 2018
Mueller is heading a sprawling probe into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and related matters, including examining whether Trump obstructed justice when he fired former FBI Director James Comey, among other things.
Recent reports suggest that the president’s legal team is preparing for a potential interview between Mueller’s team and the president, however, Christie did not seem keen on allowing that to happen.
“As a former U.S. Attorney and somebody who would be sitting on the other side of that table … He should never walk into that room with Robert Mueller,” Christie said.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).