- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Wednesday 12:14 PM
Chris Christie warns that Trump’s ‘hyperbolic’ speech could hurt him in Mueller probe
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
He also said Trump ‘should never walk into’ a room with Mueller.
Christie, who was the first Republican presidential candidate to back Trump during the 2016 election, made the comments on Sunday during a panel on ABC’s This Week.
“One of the things that makes the president who he is, is that he’s a salesman, and salesmen at times tend to be hyperbolic, and this president has certainly tended to be that,” he said. “That’s OK when you’re working on Congress. It is not OK when you’re sitting talking to federal agents because, 18 U.S.C. 1001 is false statements to federal agents, that’s a crime, that can send you to jail.”
Fmr. Gov. @ChrisChristie tells @GStephanopoulos Pres. Trump should not meet with Special Counsel Mueller: "He's a salesman, and salesmen at times tend to be hyperbolic... That’s ok when you’re working on Congress. It is not ok when you’re sitting talking to federal agents." pic.twitter.com/saiGHUCbT9— This Week (@ThisWeekABC) April 1, 2018
Mueller is heading a sprawling probe into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and related matters, including examining whether Trump obstructed justice when he fired former FBI Director James Comey, among other things.
Recent reports suggest that the president’s legal team is preparing for a potential interview between Mueller’s team and the president, however, Christie did not seem keen on allowing that to happen.
“As a former U.S. Attorney and somebody who would be sitting on the other side of that table … He should never walk into that room with Robert Mueller,” Christie said.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).