- Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch appearance isn’t a gimmick—it’s a strategy 1 Year Ago
- Viral video shows an egg getting a hot makeover Tuesday 7:56 PM
- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
Carl Bernstein says Fox News is covering up Trump’s Russia scandal
The Watergate reporter does not mince words.
Carl Bernstein, one-half of the infamous Washington Post duo who helped bring down President Richard Nixon, said Fox News is abetting a cover-up in regards to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.
Berstein’s stern words for the network happened on CNN’s Reliable Sources with Brian Stetler, in response to a segment by Fox’s Judge Jeanine Pirro, who said that people in the FBI needed to be led out of the building in handcuffs.
"There is a cleansing needed in our FBI and department of justice– it needs to be cleansed of individuals who should not just be fired. But who need to be taken out in cuffs." My #OpeningStatement pic.twitter.com/rhebkWev6R
— Jeanine Pirro (@JudgeJeanine) December 10, 2017
“[Fox’s behavior] abets a cover-up,” Bernstein said in response to the clip. “Because there is a cover-up going on in the White House and among President Donald Trump’s aides and former aides relating to the investigations. We don’t know what the cover-up is about, whether it constitutes an obstruction of justice or a criminal conspiracy at this point.”
There has been a large push as of late by Republicans—as arrests, charges, and convictions in the probe have begun—to throw any accusation at Mueller in hopes to discredit him. In the segment, Bernstein talked about how Republicans were truly the heroes of Watergate, coming around to speak out and support impeaching a corrupt president, but that he does not see that happening here.
Fox News—which the president watches—has often been accused of ignoring the Mueller investigation. When former campaign manager Paul Manafort turned himself in, Fox & Friends was covering Google’s cheeseburger emoji controversy.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]