- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
Conspiracy theories run wild after car pops out of woods near Trump’s motorcade
Police say the driver had no intent to harm President Trump. Many are unconvinced.
A car strangely drove out of the woods alongside a highway when President Donald Trump’s motorcade drove by earlier this week—and while local authorities have cleared the driver of any wrongdoing, that hasn’t stopped conspiracy theories from popping up online.
A YouTube video posted online on Wednesday shows the car, a white sedan, suddenly driving out of a wooded area as Trump’s large motorcade full of police vehicles drive down the highway in Springfield, Missouri, where Trump made a speech about his tax plan.
“Oh my gosh! Look at that car that just came out of the woods!” the man filming the video can be heard saying.
After jumping out of the woods, the car hits a small rainwater divot and pulls over as the motorcade speeds by. Soon several cars pull up next to the car and authorities begin speaking with what appears to be the driver.
The Springfield Police said there was “no intent of harm or disruption” to the motorcade. No arrests were made as a result of the crash, according to KOLR10. The station said the car’s brakes malfunctioned.
Despite the police’s determination that there was no intent to ram the motorcade, that hasn’t stopped people online from suspecting the worst.
There was no way this wasn't intentional. pic.twitter.com/zhkgVclZ5U— thomas chappell (@taz1981m) August 31, 2017
No answer as to exactly what the intent was? I smell spin...— Old Blood and Guts (@Egnaro_Rewop) September 1, 2017
The chances that it was just a coincidence that it happened at the exact same instant that the President drove by are infinitesimal. Arrest!— Trevor Sutcliffe (@TrevorSutcliffe) August 31, 2017
Numerous comments on the YouTube video also believe that the driver attempted to ram Trump’s caravan of cars, despite authorities saying otherwise.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).