- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Today 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Today 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Today 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Today 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Today 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Today 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Today 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Today 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Today 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Today 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Today 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
Bill Nye is not playing around anymore when it comes to climate change. The science guy we all know and love was featured in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and dropped some F-bombs to discuss the severity of the issue.
“Grow the fuck up. You’re not children anymore,” Nye says in the now-viral video. “I didn’t mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12. But you’re adults now, and this is an actual crisis, got it? Safety glasses off, motherfuckers.”
Nye is an advocate for the Green New Deal, and both him and Oliver backed it on the HBO show Sunday night. The deal, sponsored by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), works to address the issue of climate change.
“What I’m saying is the planet’s on fucking fire,” Nye says. “There are a lot of things we could do to put it out—are any of them free? No, of course not. Nothing’s free, you idiots.”
Needless to say, Nye’s now-adult fans are shook.
bill nye sitting all our grown asses down and telling us off for fucking up the planet is the most parental berating of all time and we all deserve it. I am sending myself to my room to think about what I've done— sloane (@cottoncandaddy) May 13, 2019
bill nye just slapped my childhood in the face with that f-bomb pic.twitter.com/u3MR65RSDf— Cole Giannasca (@imcolegiannasca) May 13, 2019
we fucked up so much that bill nye is about to beat our asses if we don't start to take climate change serious pic.twitter.com/itwoDSxaaM— cat ♡ (@CatScrivner) May 13, 2019
BILL NYE REALLY SAID FUCK THEM KIDS pic.twitter.com/uj3NQCHNJ1— 𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚜 (@kxtsukill) May 13, 2019
Bill Nye not the same Bill Nye we used to know 💀 pic.twitter.com/LgKef8E4vG— jourdain (@jourdaindong) May 13, 2019
The Green New Deal was unanimously rejected in the Senate in March after Senate Republicans pushed for an early vote on the deal, a move Senate Democrats have called a “stunt.”
“It is a nonbinding resolution that very briefly sets out some extremely aggressive goals, including achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions, meeting 100% of the country’s power demand through clean, renewable and zero-emission energy sources and creating millions of good, high-wage jobs in the United States,” Oliver says.
This is not the first time Nye has used his platform to address climate change or to support Ocasio-Cortez and the deal.
“By the end of this century, if emissions keep rising, the average temperature on Earth could go up another four to eight degrees,” Nye says.
- Bill Nye just crashed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s SXSW panel
- Bill Nye walked into a Las Vegas elevator, and it was filled with half-naked Snapchatting women
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’
H/T the Hill
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.