- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Bill Nye is not playing around anymore when it comes to climate change. The science guy we all know and love was featured in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and dropped some F-bombs to discuss the severity of the issue.
“Grow the fuck up. You’re not children anymore,” Nye says in the now-viral video. “I didn’t mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12. But you’re adults now, and this is an actual crisis, got it? Safety glasses off, motherfuckers.”
Nye is an advocate for the Green New Deal, and both him and Oliver backed it on the HBO show Sunday night. The deal, sponsored by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), works to address the issue of climate change.
“What I’m saying is the planet’s on fucking fire,” Nye says. “There are a lot of things we could do to put it out—are any of them free? No, of course not. Nothing’s free, you idiots.”
Needless to say, Nye’s now-adult fans are shook.
bill nye sitting all our grown asses down and telling us off for fucking up the planet is the most parental berating of all time and we all deserve it. I am sending myself to my room to think about what I've done— sloane (@cottoncandaddy) May 13, 2019
bill nye just slapped my childhood in the face with that f-bomb pic.twitter.com/u3MR65RSDf— Cole Giannasca (@imcolegiannasca) May 13, 2019
we fucked up so much that bill nye is about to beat our asses if we don't start to take climate change serious pic.twitter.com/itwoDSxaaM— cat ♡ (@CatScrivner) May 13, 2019
Bill Nye not the same Bill Nye we used to know 💀 pic.twitter.com/LgKef8E4vG— jourdain (@jourdaindong) May 13, 2019
The Green New Deal was unanimously rejected in the Senate in March after Senate Republicans pushed for an early vote on the deal, a move Senate Democrats have called a “stunt.”
“It is a nonbinding resolution that very briefly sets out some extremely aggressive goals, including achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions, meeting 100% of the country’s power demand through clean, renewable and zero-emission energy sources and creating millions of good, high-wage jobs in the United States,” Oliver says.
This is not the first time Nye has used his platform to address climate change or to support Ocasio-Cortez and the deal.
“By the end of this century, if emissions keep rising, the average temperature on Earth could go up another four to eight degrees,” Nye says.
- Bill Nye just crashed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s SXSW panel
- Bill Nye walked into a Las Vegas elevator, and it was filled with half-naked Snapchatting women
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’
H/T the Hill
Eilish O’Sullivan is the news wire editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.