- Student allegedly posted roommate’s ‘missing’ flyer on Instagram before being charged with her murder Monday 11:45 PM
- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Monday 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Monday 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Monday 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Monday 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Monday 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Monday 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Monday 1:43 PM
Bill Nye is not playing around anymore when it comes to climate change. The science guy we all know and love was featured in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and dropped some F-bombs to discuss the severity of the issue.
“Grow the fuck up. You’re not children anymore,” Nye says in the now-viral video. “I didn’t mind explaining photosynthesis to you when you were 12. But you’re adults now, and this is an actual crisis, got it? Safety glasses off, motherfuckers.”
Nye is an advocate for the Green New Deal, and both him and Oliver backed it on the HBO show Sunday night. The deal, sponsored by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), works to address the issue of climate change.
“What I’m saying is the planet’s on fucking fire,” Nye says. “There are a lot of things we could do to put it out—are any of them free? No, of course not. Nothing’s free, you idiots.”
Needless to say, Nye’s now-adult fans are shook.
bill nye sitting all our grown asses down and telling us off for fucking up the planet is the most parental berating of all time and we all deserve it. I am sending myself to my room to think about what I've done— sloane (@cottoncandaddy) May 13, 2019
bill nye just slapped my childhood in the face with that f-bomb pic.twitter.com/u3MR65RSDf— Cole Giannasca (@imcolegiannasca) May 13, 2019
we fucked up so much that bill nye is about to beat our asses if we don't start to take climate change serious pic.twitter.com/itwoDSxaaM— cat ♡ (@CatScrivner) May 13, 2019
Bill Nye not the same Bill Nye we used to know 💀 pic.twitter.com/LgKef8E4vG— jourdain (@jourdaindong) May 13, 2019
The Green New Deal was unanimously rejected in the Senate in March after Senate Republicans pushed for an early vote on the deal, a move Senate Democrats have called a “stunt.”
“It is a nonbinding resolution that very briefly sets out some extremely aggressive goals, including achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions, meeting 100% of the country’s power demand through clean, renewable and zero-emission energy sources and creating millions of good, high-wage jobs in the United States,” Oliver says.
This is not the first time Nye has used his platform to address climate change or to support Ocasio-Cortez and the deal.
“By the end of this century, if emissions keep rising, the average temperature on Earth could go up another four to eight degrees,” Nye says.
- Bill Nye just crashed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s SXSW panel
- Bill Nye walked into a Las Vegas elevator, and it was filled with half-naked Snapchatting women
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’
H/T the Hill
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.