- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers 9 Months Ago
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
Donald Trump-supporting radio host and online conspiracy theorist Bill Mitchell took a break from tweeting about voter fraud on Wednesday to take aim at Antifa, proposing that the movement may have started the devastating fires in California.
Is #Antifa setting the California wildfires?— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 14, 2018
No one knows who set the "Camp Fire" in California. One distinct possibility is domestic terrorism. #Antifa is a domestic terrorist organization. As such, the question must be asked.— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 14, 2018
I don't expect #Antifa to like it. https://t.co/lNVoxxJIGu
The two major fires, which have been raging for days, are some of the most destructive in the state’s history.
The blaze in Northern California, in Butte County, has destroyed 7,600 homes and ravaged 135,000 acres of land. The second, in Southern California, has scorched around 97,620 acres. The climbing statewide death toll is now at 50.
Mitchell is host at YourVoice America and a staunch defender of President Donald Trump. He regularly features former Trump campaign associates and conservative media personalities for interviews.
It’s on Mitchell’s Twitter account, however, that things always get a little interesting. It’s there that he has alleged that the domestic bombing campaign targeting Democrats was a false flag engineered by Democrats, and even pushed the “deep state” QAnon conspiracy.
As you’d expect, he has never been a fan of Antifa.
So just to be clear - #Antifa uses REAL violence and fascism to protest NON-EXISTENT violence and fascism?— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 4, 2017
I give you the modern left.
And views the group as a proxy to attack anyone left of the Republican Party, whether it is centrist liberals or progressive Democrats.
#Antifa is exposing the evil heart of the Democrat Party as no political attack ad ever could. THIS is who they are. THIS is their agenda.— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) August 14, 2017
In this deluded world, even the deaths of dozens of Americans are fair game as fodder for baseless conspiracy theorizing and hyperpartisan cheap shots to merchants like Mitchell.
There is no proof Antifa was behind the fires, and authorities have made no mention of the organization when discussing the wildfires.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.