- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
- The 1975’s singer criticized for ‘Islamophobic’ rant Wednesday 3:22 PM
- Ready to dish out $52K for Apple’s new Mac Pro? Wednesday 3:03 PM
- N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell discuss their new Green Lantern comic, ‘Far Sector’ Wednesday 3:00 PM
- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Wednesday 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Wednesday 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Wednesday 12:09 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot Wednesday 12:08 PM
Donald Trump-supporting radio host and online conspiracy theorist Bill Mitchell took a break from tweeting about voter fraud on Wednesday to take aim at Antifa, proposing that the movement may have started the devastating fires in California.
Is #Antifa setting the California wildfires?— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 14, 2018
No one knows who set the "Camp Fire" in California. One distinct possibility is domestic terrorism. #Antifa is a domestic terrorist organization. As such, the question must be asked.— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 14, 2018
I don't expect #Antifa to like it. https://t.co/lNVoxxJIGu
The two major fires, which have been raging for days, are some of the most destructive in the state’s history.
The blaze in Northern California, in Butte County, has destroyed 7,600 homes and ravaged 135,000 acres of land. The second, in Southern California, has scorched around 97,620 acres. The climbing statewide death toll is now at 50.
Mitchell is host at YourVoice America and a staunch defender of President Donald Trump. He regularly features former Trump campaign associates and conservative media personalities for interviews.
It’s on Mitchell’s Twitter account, however, that things always get a little interesting. It’s there that he has alleged that the domestic bombing campaign targeting Democrats was a false flag engineered by Democrats, and even pushed the “deep state” QAnon conspiracy.
As you’d expect, he has never been a fan of Antifa.
So just to be clear - #Antifa uses REAL violence and fascism to protest NON-EXISTENT violence and fascism?— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 4, 2017
I give you the modern left.
And views the group as a proxy to attack anyone left of the Republican Party, whether it is centrist liberals or progressive Democrats.
#Antifa is exposing the evil heart of the Democrat Party as no political attack ad ever could. THIS is who they are. THIS is their agenda.— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) August 14, 2017
In this deluded world, even the deaths of dozens of Americans are fair game as fodder for baseless conspiracy theorizing and hyperpartisan cheap shots to merchants like Mitchell.
There is no proof Antifa was behind the fires, and authorities have made no mention of the organization when discussing the wildfires.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology.