- Workers claim Google made spy tool to prevent them from organizing Wednesday 8:13 PM
- Hailey Bieber denies shading Selena Gomez with ‘I’ll Kill You’ Instagram post Wednesday 7:46 PM
- Trump signed an ego tweet sheet for Tomi Lahren–and it features conspiracy theorists Wednesday 6:59 PM
- Attorneys say ICE deleted evidence pertaining to transgender asylum seeker’s death Wednesday 6:24 PM
- Everything you need to know about VSCO filter codes Wednesday 6:17 PM
- Are users prepared to pay for Gmail storage space? Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Facebook pledges $1 billion to fight housing crisis it helped create Wednesday 5:16 PM
- Lizzo officially credits ‘DNA test’ tweet writer on ‘Truth Hurts’ Wednesday 4:50 PM
- Pornhub takes down videos secretly filmed in a college women’s locker room Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google Maps on iPhone now shows you speed traps Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Here’s why you’re seeing ‘rise and shine’ all over social media Wednesday 3:45 PM
- AOC grills Zuckerberg over false political ads on Facebook Wednesday 3:27 PM
- Fox News promotes pro-faith, anti-antifa film ‘The Reliant’ Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Cardi B to star in ‘Fast & Furious 9’ Wednesday 3:12 PM
- AOC on opening her DMs: ‘By this morning, it was trash’ Wednesday 2:26 PM
Donald Trump-supporting radio host and online conspiracy theorist Bill Mitchell took a break from tweeting about voter fraud on Wednesday to take aim at Antifa, proposing that the movement may have started the devastating fires in California.
Is #Antifa setting the California wildfires?— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 14, 2018
No one knows who set the "Camp Fire" in California. One distinct possibility is domestic terrorism. #Antifa is a domestic terrorist organization. As such, the question must be asked.— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 14, 2018
I don't expect #Antifa to like it. https://t.co/lNVoxxJIGu
The two major fires, which have been raging for days, are some of the most destructive in the state’s history.
The blaze in Northern California, in Butte County, has destroyed 7,600 homes and ravaged 135,000 acres of land. The second, in Southern California, has scorched around 97,620 acres. The climbing statewide death toll is now at 50.
Mitchell is host at YourVoice America and a staunch defender of President Donald Trump. He regularly features former Trump campaign associates and conservative media personalities for interviews.
It’s on Mitchell’s Twitter account, however, that things always get a little interesting. It’s there that he has alleged that the domestic bombing campaign targeting Democrats was a false flag engineered by Democrats, and even pushed the “deep state” QAnon conspiracy.
As you’d expect, he has never been a fan of Antifa.
So just to be clear - #Antifa uses REAL violence and fascism to protest NON-EXISTENT violence and fascism?— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) November 4, 2017
I give you the modern left.
And views the group as a proxy to attack anyone left of the Republican Party, whether it is centrist liberals or progressive Democrats.
#Antifa is exposing the evil heart of the Democrat Party as no political attack ad ever could. THIS is who they are. THIS is their agenda.— Bill Mitchell (@mitchellvii) August 14, 2017
In this deluded world, even the deaths of dozens of Americans are fair game as fodder for baseless conspiracy theorizing and hyperpartisan cheap shots to merchants like Mitchell.
There is no proof Antifa was behind the fires, and authorities have made no mention of the organization when discussing the wildfires.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology.