- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination 4 Weeks Ago
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching 4 Weeks Ago
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Today 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Today 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Today 2:57 PM
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time Today 1:46 PM
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency Today 1:46 PM
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Today 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
And while candidates like former Rep. Beto O’Rourke and Mayor Pete Buttigieg took shots at various points in the debate, the other presumed front runner, former Vice President Joe Biden, also jumped in–leading to one moment getting criticized and becoming the subject of jokes.
Twitter user @TheWayWithAnoa asked people to caption a moment where Biden is pointing and yelling in the direction of Warren.
Caption this pic.twitter.com/ebS32DjXZU— 🖤 Black Womxn 🖤 (@TheWayWithAnoa) October 16, 2019
The captured moment came when Warren was talking about creating the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Biden then jumped in yelling: “I went on the floor and got you votes. I got votes for that bill. I convinced people to vote for it. So let’s get those things straight too.”
Biden on CFPB, which Warren helped create: "I went on the floor and got you votes. I got votes for that bill. I convinced people to vote for it"— Axios (@axios) October 16, 2019
Warren: "I am deeply grateful to President Obama."
Biden: "You did a hell of a job in your job."
Warren: "Thank you." pic.twitter.com/TQJzMGWfQF
Soon enough, many people came up with jokes about it:
“ray is a mary sue!” https://t.co/DCIOPaGGqL— b-boy bouiebaisse (@jbouie) October 16, 2019
“Well ACTUALLY.” https://t.co/bMwdaEDtxt— Sam Donovan (@samueljdonovan) October 16, 2019
“no, YOU tell me what year it is” https://t.co/VSwxVgw4sY— Elon “Boo Deadline” Green (@elongreen) October 16, 2019
IT SAYS THE EARLY BIRD STARTS AT 4! https://t.co/VfuF8EGTZu— Matt Gorman (@mattsgorman) October 16, 2019
Same energy pic.twitter.com/RFzHBC0Jpu— Patrick Karlson (@PatrickAKarlson) October 16, 2019
“RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT!” https://t.co/6iwbArMYbP— Ryan Doyle (@ryanwdoyle) October 16, 2019
Other people also commented on the moment during the debate–with some calling it a “bad look.”
All women know what the tone of this “thank you” means https://t.co/q3qHqb6QMg— Zerlina Maxwell (@ZerlinaMaxwell) October 16, 2019
Joe Biden yelling at Elizabeth Warren and sticking his hand in her face was...really ugly.— Walker Bragman (@WalkerBragman) October 16, 2019
I keep thinking about this exchange from tonight's #DemDebate. This is Biden yelling and aggressively gesturing at Warren for not giving him credit for *her* hard work on creating the CFPB. You can see how furious he is, both in how he treats her and in how he laughs at her. https://t.co/Dm3mTS5Wk8— ella dawson (@brosandprose) October 16, 2019
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).