- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
- Uncanny ‘Back to the Future’ deepfake transports Tom Holland and Robert Downey, Jr. to 1985 Monday 10:04 AM
- Everyone is doing the Renegade. Including the teen who started it Monday 9:23 AM
A memetic video of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is making the rounds on Twitter.
In the video, which is fast approaching three-quarters of a million views at this writing, a voice pretending to be Sanders say, “Any female born after 1993 can’t cook. All they know is McDonald’s, charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual, eat hot chip and lie.”
jessus no bernie you cant say things like that pic.twitter.com/y9BTENqHQU— DataShade (@datashade) January 23, 2020
Although the voice impression is actually quite good, the video could be described as a shallow fake at best. Sanders’ mouth doesn’t come close to matching the audio dubbed over it.
It’s also just a fun joke, the quote itself from a tweet that went viral last year.
any female born after 1993 can’t cook... all they know is mcdonald’s , charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual , eat hot chip & lie— aria (@ariasagirl) May 1, 2019
None of that stopped a ton of people from falling for it, much to others’ amusement.
Meanwhile us fascists are just laughign while watching the commies cancel each other non stop.— pizzahotdish (@pizzahotdish) January 24, 2020
No it’s more fun that way— Viol3t (@FO7935) January 24, 2020
You know, I'd be legit worried people would see this and be so out of touch, they'd really believe it. Especially old people, could actually take away a vote or two. Still made me laugh, it's hilarious.— Kief Gringo (@Kief_Gringo) January 24, 2020
People who got the joke slid into the thread with some jokes of their own.
He has a history of saying things like this. pic.twitter.com/OqMwuyzuWO— WHEN WE FIGHT!🌹WE WIN! (@ImAjardel) January 24, 2020
the ring was basically about social media when you see something good you have seven days to retweet or billie eilish crawls out of your phone and strangles you to death— DataShade (@datashade) January 24, 2020
Can’t believe Warren’s camp leaked this, wow— Joey Fresh (@iamthedubbaby) January 24, 2020
This is a lie!— RestlessDreams(Audrey) (@DreamsRestless) January 24, 2020
I'm pansexual and I've never twerked in my life!
Why, this is really making reconsider if poor people really do deserve healthcare!
Someone’s gonna take this for real and I for one cannot wait.— Leonard Church (@LChurch814) January 24, 2020
The Twitter account @ariasagirl, who wrote the line, told the Daily Dot via messenger that they didn’t know about the Sanders video.
“Honestly, I’ve seen one’s of Trump, Obama, and even Jesus, so it’s not too shocking,” they wrote.
“But I love that the meme has made it this far.”
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.