- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous 1 Month Ago
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Today 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Today 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Today 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Today 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Today 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Today 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Today 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Today 9:19 AM
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic Today 8:42 AM
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
A memetic video of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is making the rounds on Twitter.
In the video, which is fast approaching three-quarters of a million views at this writing, a voice pretending to be Sanders say, “Any female born after 1993 can’t cook. All they know is McDonald’s, charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual, eat hot chip and lie.”
jessus no bernie you cant say things like that pic.twitter.com/y9BTENqHQU— DataShade (@datashade) January 23, 2020
Although the voice impression is actually quite good, the video could be described as a shallow fake at best. Sanders’ mouth doesn’t come close to matching the audio dubbed over it.
It’s also just a fun joke, the quote itself from a tweet that went viral last year.
any female born after 1993 can’t cook... all they know is mcdonald’s , charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual , eat hot chip & lie— aria (@ariasagirl) May 1, 2019
None of that stopped a ton of people from falling for it, much to others’ amusement.
Meanwhile us fascists are just laughign while watching the commies cancel each other non stop.— pizzahotdish (@pizzahotdish) January 24, 2020
No it’s more fun that way— Viol3t (@FO7935) January 24, 2020
You know, I'd be legit worried people would see this and be so out of touch, they'd really believe it. Especially old people, could actually take away a vote or two. Still made me laugh, it's hilarious.— Kief Gringo (@Kief_Gringo) January 24, 2020
People who got the joke slid into the thread with some jokes of their own.
He has a history of saying things like this. pic.twitter.com/OqMwuyzuWO— WHEN WE FIGHT!🌹WE WIN! (@ImAjardel) January 24, 2020
the ring was basically about social media when you see something good you have seven days to retweet or billie eilish crawls out of your phone and strangles you to death— DataShade (@datashade) January 24, 2020
Can’t believe Warren’s camp leaked this, wow— Joey Fresh (@iamthedubbaby) January 24, 2020
This is a lie!— RestlessDreams(Audrey) (@DreamsRestless) January 24, 2020
I'm pansexual and I've never twerked in my life!
Why, this is really making reconsider if poor people really do deserve healthcare!
Someone’s gonna take this for real and I for one cannot wait.— Leonard Church (@LChurch814) January 24, 2020
The Twitter account @ariasagirl, who wrote the line, told the Daily Dot via messenger that they didn’t know about the Sanders video.
“Honestly, I’ve seen one’s of Trump, Obama, and even Jesus, so it’s not too shocking,” they wrote.
“But I love that the meme has made it this far.”
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.