- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy 10 Months Ago
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him 10 Months Ago
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Today 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Today 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Today 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Today 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Today 12:02 PM
- Democratic senator calls Facebook ‘dangerous’ during Libra cryptocurrency hearing Today 11:57 AM
- How ‘Kyle’ became synonymous with angry, Monster Energy-chugging white boys Today 11:22 AM
- Nearly impossible ‘Super Mario Maker 2’ level inspires memes Today 11:16 AM
- Madonna faces backlash for posting photos of her Black daughters with watermelon Today 10:44 AM
- Biden wants to challenge Trump to a push-up contest Today 10:00 AM
- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets Today 9:21 AM
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme Today 9:06 AM
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
Kris Paronto, a U.S. Army Ranger and former CIA security contractor, was suspended from Twitter on Sunday over hateful speech directed toward a liberal organization.
Paronto, an active Twitter user, jumped on a thread by former Navy SEAL Robert O’Neill mocking the liberal organization’s account for saying former President Barack Obama killed Osama bin Laden. O’Neill has claimed he fired the shot that killed the al-Qaeda leader in 2011.
Paronto responded in a now-deleted Tweet saying: “OMG ??!! Did you just tell the guy who Shot Bin Laden that @BarackObama did it ?? BWAHAHAHA. Thank you for verifying that BHusseinObama worship and TDS causes liberalists to skip retard and go straight to potato. #YouAreAnIdiot #NeverGoFullRetard.”
The next morning, Paronto said he had been suspended for the tweet, writing that the 12-hour suspension was “liberal hypocrisy and conservative censorship on full display” by the social media platform.
The ex-Army Ranger also posted an Instagram post about the suspension, saying in the caption, “we have the right to free speech but only if it fits the leftists’ narrative.” Twitter and the company’s CEO, Jack Dorsey, have in recent months been accused by high-profile conservatives of shadowbanning right-wing accounts (Twitter denies doing so).
During a speech on Friday at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Obama criticized President Donald Trump’s responses to the Benghazi investigation and called it a “wild conspiracy.” Paronto was part of the team that responded to the Benghazi attacks, which left four Americans dead.
“It’s disgusting,” Paronto said. “It just raises the bile inside of me. I had a hard time just watching the speeches. I just wanted to see what he had to say. And when that came across, I just wanted to reach through the screen and just grab him—grab him and choke him.”
Paronto later tweeted a sarcastic apology to Obama supporters and thanked Donald Trump Jr. for his criticism of Obama’s remarks.
H/T Daily Mail
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.