- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
- Wayfair refuses to stop furnishing migrant detention centers Tuesday 4:48 PM
- Woah! How did Keanu Reeves get so small? Tuesday 4:37 PM
- The centrist argument against Sanders’ student loan plan is getting ripped apart Tuesday 4:08 PM
- Jonathan Frakes confirms that you’re right in yet another meme Tuesday 3:56 PM
- Meryl Streep, Ariana Grande set to star in Netflix’s ‘The Prom’ Tuesday 3:35 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3 goodies are here just in time Tuesday 3:01 PM
- Kim Kardashian’s shapewear line Kimono is already getting called out Tuesday 2:11 PM
- ‘Aggretsuko’ tones down the rage in season 2 Tuesday 1:13 PM
- TikTok is being used to call out predators Tuesday 12:41 PM
- Republican congressman wants to defund PBS over the gay rat wedding Tuesday 12:39 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections Tuesday 11:47 AM
MAGA hats are in the news again.
Yesterday, at a rally for President Donald Trump in El Paso, Texas a cameraman for the BBC was reportedly attacked by a man in a Make America Great Again hat.
The cameraman’s partner, Eleanor Montague, said it was the first Trump rally she attended. She said the crowd had been whipped up into a frenzy by the president, and she shared video of the immediate aftermath of the attack, where she said her cameraman, Ron Skeans, was “assaulted.”
Skean said in the BBC that he was “shoved from behind.”
In it, a man in a MAGA hat is seeing being restrained and is shouting “Fuck the media.”
Just attended my first @realDonaldTrump rally where my colleague BBC cameraman Rob Skeans was attacked by a Trump supporter. The crowd had been whipped up into a frenzy against the media by Trump and other speakers all night #TrumpElPaso pic.twitter.com/Oiw8osPms3
— Eleanor Montague (@EleanorMontague) February 12, 2019
Here’s another angle, after the @USAFrontline reporter had already grabbed the guy.
The crowd chanted “Trump! Trump!” Then the president looked at the media pen and asked, “You all right? Everything OK?” pic.twitter.com/Xsn30MrNPD
— Jacob Rascon (@KPRC2Jacob) February 12, 2019
Other angles from another reporter, Anna Giratelli, showed the aftermath of the attack, she said the man also knocked over several cameras.
Video after guy ambushed media section at Trump rally in El Paso… scary moment pic.twitter.com/Q4R957aYh1
— Anna Giaritelli (@Anna_Giaritelli) February 12, 2019
According to Giaritelli, writing in the Washington Examiner, Trump noticed the skirmish and asked if “everyone was okay before returning to his speech.” The crowd, meanwhile, chanted “CNN sucks,” a favorite refrain at the president’s rallies.
Here is how Trump reacted when a BBC reporter was attacked at his rally last night.
Note that the crowd responds by chanting, "CNN sucks!" pic.twitter.com/xnobvBO7Ez
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) February 12, 2019
Throughout both his campaign and his presidency, Trump has been accused of repeatedly inciting violence against the media, calling major news outlets “the enemy of the people,” and denying factually accurate reports about his administration.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]