- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
Former first lady Barbara Bush died on Tuesday, the family confirmed. She was 92.
Bush, who suffered pulmonary disease and congestive heart failure, opted to halt further medical treatment and remain comfortable in her home over the weekend. She was the wife of former President George H.W. Bush and mother of former President George W. Bush.
George W. Bush released a statement on his mother’s death.
“Laura, Barbara, Jenna, and I are sad, but our souls are settled because we know hers was. Barbara Bush was a fabulous first lady and a woman unlike any other who brought levity, love, and literacy to millions,” the statement says.
President Donald Trump, of whom the former first lady was critical, tweeted a statement saying Barbara Bush “will long be remembered for her strong devotion to country and family, both of which she served unfailingly well.”
Politicians, pundits, athletes, and other celebrities tweeted tributes to the former first lady.
Rest In Peace Mrs. Barbara Bush.— JJ Watt (@JJWatt) April 17, 2018
You were a beautiful light in this world and I am forever thankful for your friendship. pic.twitter.com/yuZvQ7o8aH
Rest In Peace Barbara Bush. Much love to the whole family.— Cameron Kasky (@cameron_kasky) April 18, 2018
Throughout her life, Barbara Bush showed us all the importance of charity, literacy, and love of country. Our thoughts are with the entire Bush family as they mourn her passing. Rest In Peace.— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) April 18, 2018
Barbara Bush was a remarkable woman. She had grit & grace, brains & beauty. She was fierce & feisty in support of her family & friends, her country & her causes. She showed us what an honest, vibrant, full life looks like. Hillary and I mourn her passing and bless her memory.— Bill Clinton (@BillClinton) April 17, 2018
Barbara Bush was a woman of incredible determination, wit, and compassion who embodied America’s best values. My deepest condolences to the entire Bush family — especially her devoted husband @GeorgeHWBush.— Madeleine Albright (@madeleine) April 18, 2018
Barbara Bush matriarch of a great, patriotic family, dies at 92. Historical women.— Bill O'Reilly (@BillOReilly) April 18, 2018
Ohioans join with all Americans to mourn the death of Barbara Bush, a woman of grace, humility, great compassion and resolve. Her dedication to her country and family was always absolute — an example to us. We pray for her family.— John Kasich (@JohnKasich) April 18, 2018
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.