- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Today 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Today 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Today 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Today 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
Bear Grylls: ‘I hope’ President Obama won’t have to drink his own pee
It was only a matter of time.
It was only a matter of time.
News broke earlier today that President Barack Obama will appear on an Alaska-based episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. And it only took the Internet a few hours to turn the whole thing into a joke about drinking pee.
“If there’s one thing we all know about Bear Grylls’ techniques, it’s that they mostly involve drinking his own urine,” reads a new petition on the White House website. “And so: We ask that Obama do the right thing and drink his own urine during a taping of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. For science. The people demand it.”
During his appearance on Running Wild, Obama will investigate the effects of climate change while on a “trek through the wilderness” of Alaska with Grylls, according to a press release from NBC. As Grylls would likely tell you, anytime you venture into the wilderness, there’s a chance things can go wildly wrong.
In this case, it’s funny because it’s true.
See, in a 2007 episode of Grylls’ show Man vs. Wild, the survivalist and former British special-forces soldier did, in fact, drink his own urine. This, despite the fact that Grylls did, at times, “cut corners” while filming, as the New York Times put it, by staging certain scenes for the camera rather than genuinely roughing it in the dangerous outdoors, as the show would lead viewers to believe.
It seems virtually impossible that the leader of the free world will be put in a situation while filming Running Wild that requires him to ingest bodily fluids to survive, according to Grylls, who has embraced his pee-drinking legacy. At least, he hopes so.
Photo via White House/Flickr (U.S. Government Work)
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.