- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
- The 1975’s singer criticized for ‘Islamophobic’ rant Wednesday 3:22 PM
- Ready to dish out $52K for Apple’s new Mac Pro? Wednesday 3:03 PM
- N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell discuss their new Green Lantern comic, ‘Far Sector’ Wednesday 3:00 PM
- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Wednesday 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Wednesday 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Wednesday 12:09 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot Wednesday 12:08 PM
Bear Grylls: ‘I hope’ President Obama won’t have to drink his own pee
It was only a matter of time.
It was only a matter of time.
News broke earlier today that President Barack Obama will appear on an Alaska-based episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. And it only took the Internet a few hours to turn the whole thing into a joke about drinking pee.
“If there’s one thing we all know about Bear Grylls’ techniques, it’s that they mostly involve drinking his own urine,” reads a new petition on the White House website. “And so: We ask that Obama do the right thing and drink his own urine during a taping of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. For science. The people demand it.”
During his appearance on Running Wild, Obama will investigate the effects of climate change while on a “trek through the wilderness” of Alaska with Grylls, according to a press release from NBC. As Grylls would likely tell you, anytime you venture into the wilderness, there’s a chance things can go wildly wrong.
In this case, it’s funny because it’s true.
See, in a 2007 episode of Grylls’ show Man vs. Wild, the survivalist and former British special-forces soldier did, in fact, drink his own urine. This, despite the fact that Grylls did, at times, “cut corners” while filming, as the New York Times put it, by staging certain scenes for the camera rather than genuinely roughing it in the dangerous outdoors, as the show would lead viewers to believe.
It seems virtually impossible that the leader of the free world will be put in a situation while filming Running Wild that requires him to ingest bodily fluids to survive, according to Grylls, who has embraced his pee-drinking legacy. At least, he hopes so.
Photo via White House/Flickr (U.S. Government Work)
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.