- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Bear Grylls: ‘I hope’ President Obama won’t have to drink his own pee
It was only a matter of time.
It was only a matter of time.
News broke earlier today that President Barack Obama will appear on an Alaska-based episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. And it only took the Internet a few hours to turn the whole thing into a joke about drinking pee.
“If there’s one thing we all know about Bear Grylls’ techniques, it’s that they mostly involve drinking his own urine,” reads a new petition on the White House website. “And so: We ask that Obama do the right thing and drink his own urine during a taping of Running Wild with Bear Grylls. For science. The people demand it.”
During his appearance on Running Wild, Obama will investigate the effects of climate change while on a “trek through the wilderness” of Alaska with Grylls, according to a press release from NBC. As Grylls would likely tell you, anytime you venture into the wilderness, there’s a chance things can go wildly wrong.
In this case, it’s funny because it’s true.
See, in a 2007 episode of Grylls’ show Man vs. Wild, the survivalist and former British special-forces soldier did, in fact, drink his own urine. This, despite the fact that Grylls did, at times, “cut corners” while filming, as the New York Times put it, by staging certain scenes for the camera rather than genuinely roughing it in the dangerous outdoors, as the show would lead viewers to believe.
It seems virtually impossible that the leader of the free world will be put in a situation while filming Running Wild that requires him to ingest bodily fluids to survive, according to Grylls, who has embraced his pee-drinking legacy. At least, he hopes so.
Photo via White House/Flickr (U.S. Government Work)
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.