- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
The person who ushered in a new era of chaos is now publicly calling for the ouster of the man brought in to bring back order to the White House. Anthony Scaramucci wants John Kelly out as chief of staff.
Scaramucci was infamously fired 10 days into his job by Kelly after Kelly took over as chief of staff. Originally, after the former chief of staff Reince Priebus was fired, it was speculated Scaramucci would be up for the job. Instead, it went to Kelly, a former general, who was tasked with bringing discipline to the White House and summarily fired Scaramucci.
But now Kelly is under fire for possibly lying about his knowledge of Rob Porter’s alleged domestic assault. Porter was the White House staff secretary until Daily Mail reported his two ex-wives said he abused them. Kelly told White House staffers that he had acted within 40 minutes of finding out about reports Porter’s abuse, but that is now being contradicted by both anonymous White House staffers and FBI Director Christopher Wray.
With that in mind, Scaramucci is publicly calling for Kelly to be fired for protecting an alleged domestic abuser.
Based on FBI testimony, WH Chief of Staff John Kelly almost certainly knew about credible allegations of domestic abuse against Rob Porter at least 6 months ago - then recently forced others to lie about that timeline. Inexcusable. Kelly must resign. https://t.co/ydt7dmD7xs— Anthony Scaramucci (@Scaramucci) February 13, 2018
When said that his tweets regarding Kelly looked “petty,” given his history, Scaramucci said there was nothing personal about his speaking out.
Domestic abuse is a red line. Covering up for it is indefensible. If speaking out against that makes me look petty, then so be it. This has nothing to do with my exit from WH. I trust the FBI Director in this matter, and so should you. We'll know the full truth soon enough. https://t.co/kWXdZHQmOH— Anthony Scaramucci (@Scaramucci) February 13, 2018
This is the second time in two days Scaramucci has called for Kelly to be removed from his position.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]